97 Intrepid comsuming coolant fluid

My 97 Intrepid is slowly consuming some coolant fluid and i cant see any leaks. I have to add about 1/2 litre every 3 weks. There is sometimes the odd smell of "Prestone" when heater is in use.

What could be probable cause?

Thanks!

Reply to
Private_Sale

COuld be a bad heater core That would give you the smell too. Check to see if the passanger carpet is damp

Reply to
sqdancerLynn

heater core. Easy way to find out is to use a length of heater hose and temporairly bridge out the heater from the cooling circuit and drive it for 3 weeks and see if the coolant level keeps dropping.

Usually these are a bitch to replace.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

As others have mentioned, a leaking heater core comes to mind. Also check the pressure cap, as they can start leaking - not enough that you see any residue around it but enough to cause gradual coolant loss. I know that goes against the smell you mention when you run the heater, but leaking caps act just like you say (again ignoring the odor observation). Sometimes they are so sneaky (not enough tell-tale residue) that the only way to prove it is to replace the cap and then notice that the disappearing coolant problem goes away.

The cap is so relatively inexpensive, I'd try that first (before replacing the core) unless I first *proved* that the core was leaking - it probably needs to be replaced anyway if it hasn't been done in a long time. I'd get that particular item from the dealer.

Bill Putney

Just to clarify after re-reading what I wrote there, the 'it' in that sentence refers to the cap, not the heater core.

Bill Putney

Leaky heater core sounds pretty likely.

Reply to
Steve