98 Dodge Caravan Question on Starting

Hi there,

For the last couple of weeks, when I turn on the ignition to start the van I get a click and nothing else. Turning the key back to the off position, then back to the start position normally starts the van. Today on a cold day, I had to do this procedure 4 or 5 times before the van would start.

When the van starts there are no problems, it runs perfectly.

The battery is new and the mileage is 96 000 km.

Any ideas as to what this problem could be?

Reply to
allscotcan

How cold is where you live? When was the last time you did a standard tune up

Forums

Reply to
xblazinlv

It's about -10 today and it was serviced about month ago.

Reply to
allscotcan

Further to my initial posting, I tried the van again and this time the starter stayed engaged. I turned the ignition key off and it still stayed engaged for a few seconds before it dropped out.

Since this happened, I have had no trouble starting the vehicle again. I now suspect it is the starter relay. Does this sound reasonable?

Reply to
allscotcan

What does a "standard tune up" have to do with an inoperative starter?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

The subtle hints that your starter is giving won't go on forever... You need new contacts in the starter solenoid.

3401 and 3408 IIRC
Reply to
aarcuda69062

Ummmmm hmm let me think. Maybe because that would indicate when the last time he changed his cap & rotor or maintenanced other ignition equipment. There are a lot of things that could cause startup problems, it isn't always necessarily the starter.

Forums

Reply to
xblazinlv

That would be original.

Odds are only one in four that his van even -has- a "cap & rotor."

Well, there certainly are, but when the starter doesn't engage at all, it sure as hell isn't the "cap & rotor."

Reply to
aarcuda69062
98 caravan shouldn't have a "cap & rotor"
Reply to
smwheeler

You sure about that?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Sounds like the starter solenoid, which is integrated into the starter, I believe. I had the same problem and replaced the starter. Fixed the problem and have been running fine for 3 years now.

Reply to
HeadlessHorseman