Ignition key return spring

I have an M reg Peugeot 306 XLD.

Recently the ignition key return spring has given up. That is to say when you turn the key to its furthest position to start the engine it stays there and doesn't spring back. You have to manually turn the key back. There is no spring action at all. Thinking it might be a sticking spring I squirted some WD40 in to the ignition key slot but this hasn't made any difference. Is this repairable or do I have to get a new ignition key lock ?

Thanks

Reply to
John

This was the cause of several fires as recently reported on 'Watchdog', although it was newer Peugeots. Solution was a recall for a new barrel. Don't think this applies in your case as although the problem is similar and could result in a fire it's a case of wear and tear rather than manufacturing defect. Get a new lock barrel.

Reply to
Kay

I didn't understand why these people didn't notice they were driving along with the starter running. If you hold the starter on too long on my car, it sounds bloody funny.

Reply to
Doki

I had this problem with an old Peugeot diesel and you could hardly hear the starter running over the sound of the engine and through the sound deadening.

It went on like this for a few months & was fine as long as you remembered to turn the key back after starting, until finally one morning it jammed in the 'Motor' position. The only way I could stop the engine and starter motor was to disconnect one of the battery leads then push the stop lever on the injector pump. Getting the battery lead off wasn't easy because my spanners were all locked in the garage, & the key to the garage was on my keyring which was still attached to the key jammed in the ignition lock!

Removing the jammed ignition lock wasn't easy either, you are supposed to move the key to a certain position to remove the barrel, but as the key was jammed solid I had to drill the lock out.

John, I would change your lock ASAP before you have the same problems.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Read

Peugeot said I need a new lock (£60) and that they would need the key number to order a matching barrel. Otherwise I would have separate keys to operate the ignition and doors. What do Peugeot key numbers look like ? If I remove the old lock would it be marked on it somewhere ?

Thanks

Reply to
John

Thanks for the info. Could you tell me how to remove the faulty barrel ? I think I had better change it ASAP as you say

Thanks.

Reply to
John

Do you mean remove the entire lock/switch unit, or just remove the barrel from it?

It was slightly academic on my car as the only way I could get the jammed lock out with the key still intact was to drill a series of holes through the body of the lock until the lock & barrel disintegrated into small pieces :( The lock would otherwise have been relatively easy to get out, it would have been a case of removing the steering column shroud, undoing a bolt on the back of the lock, turning the key to the correct position (line it up with a small notch next to the keyhole) then sliding the lock/switch mechanism of out the column and unplugging the wiring multiplug from under the dashboard. This wasn't a 306 though, your car could be slightly different.

I'm not sure how to remove the barrel itself from the lock, but I'm told its not too difficult. Alternatively, GSF

sell a complete new ignition& door lock set with keys for a 306 for £65 plus VAT, depends if you fancyreplacing the other locks at the same time ? Nick

Reply to
Nick Read

I think I just need to replace the barrel as the key isnt jammed. Thanks for the link.

John

Reply to
John