93 Corolla starting problems

This started happening over the winter. When I'd try to start the car, it was hard to get started when cold but ok when warm. When cold, it was like the starter switch had a narrower area where it would work, and I'd have to move it around until it would turn over, but it was fine after the engine was warmed up.

I hadn't had the money to have it looked at, and it got better in the spring when the weather warmed up here, but it's still not great and it happens when the car hasn't been warmed up yet, and stops when the engine is warm.

My question is; is this possibly the starter switch, the starter solenoid or the starter motor itself?

This car has 150,000 miles now.

Reply to
Anonymous

new key cylinder. That part may be worn. If you have a number of keys hanging off the ignition key the additional weight will wear the cylinder out much faster. I don't think that a 1993 Corolla has a "smart key" so a locksmith should be able to determine if your cylinder is bad and replace it. If not, the Toyota dealer can.

Reply to
user

The problem could be the ignition switch, the starter solenoid, the starter motor itself, the battery, or associated wiring. As Ph@boy mentioned, if there are a lot of keys on the ring along with the ignition key, the ignition lock may be worn.

When the car is hard to start, do you get a click or any noise from under the hood? If so, then it is probably not the ignition switch and one of the other things I mentioned. A competent automotive technician can check those components and identify the problem.

Reply to
Ray O

No, it's more like I have to turn the key switch to a very narrow position range to get it to hit the starter motor and then it starts.

But what's fooling me is that it doesn't do it after the engine is warmed up, it starts fine then, and even did in the winter. It seems to be dependent on the engine temperature, which had me thinking it might be the starter itself.

Now is the solenoid and solenoid switch all built into the insides of the starter motor housing?

Reply to
Anonymous

I sounds like the ignition switch is wearing out. Do you have a lot of keys on the ring along with the ignition key?

Cars love to give false clues ;-)

The solenoid is on the outside of the starter motor housing. There is no "solenoid switch."

The ignition switch is connected to the ignition lock cylinder.

The starter relay is probably located in the fuse box under the hood.

Reply to
Ray O