battery help

I'm having an odd charging problem w my 99 Neon that even has my mechanic stumped. The car has 121,000 miles on it and needs to be retired soon, so I'm trying to find out if this is worth messing with or if I should just give up.

With increasing frequency, the battery/alternator light has been coming on lately. When it's on, the engine races when I stop. One time the light was on and all my dash lights and headlights slowly dimmed and eventually my gauges shut down, too. Then, everything came back on and started working fine for no apparent reason. My mechanic has checked everything -- when the problem is happening and the car is running -- and can't find any explanation. The system is charging properly. His solution is to simply restart it, but I sometimes have to try that tactic multiple times before I finally get the car started w/o that pesky light and revving issue.

I'd appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Reply to
MDB

Find another mechanic.One that has a good scan tool to be able to diagnose the system, you mention nothing about the check engine lite being on. Normally if there is a charging problem from the generator a code would be set. otherwise if it is charging and not reaching the battery properly or the battery is bad it wont pick that up

Glenn Beasley Chrysler tech

Reply to
maxpower

Glenn,

Many thanks for your help. You're right -- the check engine light has not been on. And the battery is a good one and is charging properly. I'll take the car into someone with a good scan tool and see if I can get this figured out.

Michelle

Reply to
MDB

Just because the lite isn't on does not mean the bulb is burnt out or possibly removed by someone, make sure the check engine lite turns on when you start the car. that way you know the bulb is good

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower