Flickering lights on 2003 Grand Caravan

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan. While driving, head and dash lights, once in a while, start flickering. Stops after operating headlight swith or signal light stalk. Coincidence or is one of them at fault. It is so intermittent that I don't think it's a loose connection. Seems more like dirty contacts somewhere. Any ideas? Thanks Glen
Reply to
Arthur Dent

That could be a few of things causing that. A loose or dirty connection at the battery, a bad battery or a faulty headlamp switch/connector.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

Evening Glen

The light flickering is interesting. I bought a used 03 grand about 6 months ago and noticed every once and a while that all the lights would flicker just slightly. I mentioned it to the dealer but they said that they found nothing. I had several problems with TPS sensor and several other sensors for what seems no reason at all. I wonder if the sensor problems were related to the flicker. I'm not so sure that its a loose connection but I think the way to track this problem would be with a scope and first look at the DC power and see what it looks like. Was courious if you have had any problems with the engine running smooth and them all of a sudden running rough and missing for no reason as well as the transmission shifting down while you are just driving along. I would stop the van and shut it off and then when I restarted the van and carried on down the road all was good again, just like nothing was wrong at all. The day I took the van back to the dealer the problem was so bad that if I was driving along and simply let off the gas the dam transmission would downshift and then upshift as soon as the gas peddle was pressed again. At this point they changed out the TPS and all has been good since but its interesting that several times before this episode I had taken the van in and they were changing everything under the hood and solving nothing. Would be interesting to hear if you have had any similar problems

Bill

"Arthur Dent" wrote in message news:FSL4j.81$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe15.phx...

Reply to
Bill Falconer

Your saying you have problems with TPS? Is that what the dealer is telling you? Find out what fault codes are stored in BCM, TCM and PCM when this happens

The charging system charges the battery with an on off switch rate. It goes full field then off then full field and so on. So a slight flicker could be noticed and could be normal. If it is extreme you will have to have the battery tested and make sure all connections are tight. A loose ground or dirty battery terminal will cause this. In my last response I mentioned the headlamp switch itself which could also be causing it. A scan tool would be needed to find out if the rough idle problem is a serious problem or something normal. I have had many issues of rough idle problem on this van and all other vehicles and most are due to bad plug wires/plugs. There is a PCM reflash out to correct a rough idle problem on the 2003 RS 6 cylinder. I don't see what engine your vehicle has. Either way, find out what fault codes are stored.

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

The headlight flickering on my 2001 GC would happen when driving down the road with the RPMs above idle, but it was most pronounced at idle. I was told it was the BCM at ripoff (in hindsight) Goldstein Chrysler Jeep in Latham NY. After changing the BCM (quite expensive) proved no difference and being told a few months later that the sway bar bushings were going (after they were replaced 32,000 miles previous) AND being told I needed a new steering rack, I got rid of it and got a 2006 Caravan SXT. Wonder who Goldstein is ripping off nowadays...not me!

Reply to
MisterWoof