question regarding heating/ac fan, 98 voyager

The fan in my 98 voyager completely died, with nothing at all happening when I went through the various rotary switch settings.

When I drove up to the shop, it came on and did fine.

It died again an hour later.

Drove to shop, it's fine.

This has happened a bunch of times by now.

The folk there suggest that it's probably the fan motor with a "dead spot" (they had a differnet term which I've forgotten). They figure what's happening is that sometimes the motor shuts off with everything positioned just wrong, so turning it on does nothing.

Then, a bit later, after some potholes.... it gets shaken and moved enough to get to a "live" portion and comes back.

They recommend replacing the fan assembly (this is the one that's right behind the passenger side glove compartment).

It makes sense to me, but I figured I'd ask around for a second opinion before committing the cash.

Thoughts? Thanks muchly.

Reply to
danny burstein