400 heating fan

Hi

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I will find the heating fan and matrix box (thing!) in my 2000 V plate 416 please. I have lost the speed settings 1 and 2 and the others are squeaking when in use, and before I let my husband loose on my dashboard it would be helpful if I could point him in the right direction!

Any advice as to what may be causing this would also be gratefully received.

TIA

Alison

Reply to
chillypenguin

sounds like you need a resistor pack (available from rover main dealer only but not expensive) this controls all speeds for your fan except the highest speed which gets a direct non resistored 12 volt feed. its mounted on the side of the heater box, under the dashboard, depending on model. hope this helps. steve, Oxford.

Reply to
anon

Ok, guess what I have been doing this weekend?

Dashboard is now stripped out, fan and motor removed from the heater. But I have two questions;

1 Should the heater motor spin freely? it turns easily but stops as soon as you let go.

2 Where is the resistor pack that is used to control the fan speed?

I believe that the heater motor is seizing up, and this has burnt out the resistor pack that controls fan speeds 1 and 2.

Chilly (Alias Alison's husband)

Reply to
chillypenguin

No idea, but I'd imagine it should. With the squeaking noises you've reported it sounds like a bad bearing on the motor so you would probably be best getting one from the scrapyard.

On the original 400 series, it was a small module screwed into the fan casing, and was nothing more than a few coils of resistive wire tapped at various points. Either way, look for several wires going to one point on the fan casing.

Quite probably, especially as the coils mentioned above are positioned so that they're in the air flow from the fan. Obviously a stiff motor will draw more current making the resistive coils hotter than normal, and spin slower so that they don't get as much cooling.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

The resistor pack if fitted on the top of the heater unit and can be accessed via the glove box or radio. Drop the car in to the local independent rover garage (Ex franchisee)

Cost about £40 for the replacement.

Chilly

Reply to
chillypenguin