Re: snapping sound

I don't know who asks more questions than I do, but that's what comes

> from being an amateur. > I get a strange and rather loud snapping sound when I put my 2001 > Dodge Caravan in gear and go either ahead or back AFTER the vehicle > sits for an extended period of time. I hear it just that one > time........it SOUNDS like its coming from the rear of the vehicle, > but I know how sound can "travel." > I wonder if a brake shoe could be sticking...the vehicle will coast in > neutral, though. I don't use the parking brake..could something to do > with that be seizing up a bit maybe?? > I know its nearly impossible to guess but.....any suggestions at > all????? > Thanks > Dodger >

Sometime my 2004 Caravan's rear drum brakes will stick while parked (even with no parking brake applied, generally in damp weather). When this happens, they let go with a "clank!" (or "clunk!") as I start to back up. When new, this was so bad they were "fixed" under warranty (apparently the factory screwed up something in the original rear drum brakes). Now I just make sure (a) I don't use the parking brake (unless *absolutely* necessary) and (b) try to have the vehicle roll back a bit in park after I take my foot off the brake pedal (I park on a slope). Seems that if the last thing when I park for the night is having the brakes applied, with no free roll in park, with damp weather, the problem re-occurs... Could be your rear drums are sticking.....

Reply to
Ron Seiden

asks more questions than I do, but that's what comes

++ Thanks Ron.....that sounds like a possibility. Dodger
Reply to
dodger

Don't try to break them free going forward -- only reverse. (Drum brakes are designed to tighten up in forward application, which is why it's possible to back up with your parking brake on...)

Reply to
Ron Seiden