Adjusting parking brake for impreza wrx?

The parking brake handle of my 2002 wrx needs to be tightened due to brake wear.

I think I read somewhere (perhaps subaru manual) that the adjustment is at the two rear brakes. If that is true, how do you make sure both sides gets equal tension when hand brake is applied?

Is there one single place to tighten the hand brake before it branches into the two rear brakes?

Reply to
james

There should be an adjustment directly behind the E-brake handle. That is where it is on my Legacy. Have to pull the center console to gain access.

Reply to
johninky

There is a singe adjustment nut which is accessed by removing the center console. Be sure not to adjust it too tight, you don't want the parking brake to drag. Do it with the rear wheels off the ground and the car in neutral (use jack stands). Also brake wear is not a factor, the parking brake uses its own set of shoes inside the "hat" portion of the rear rotor. Unless you have accidentally driven the car with the parking brake applied, those shoes should never wear down. However the cables do stretch over time and that is why adjustment may be needed.

Reply to
mulder