rear brake cylinder ?

Hi ,I'm working on a 96 Dodge Intrepid 3.3. The left rear brake is getting hot. So far I removed the drum and noticed the front shoe was worn down. The back shoe looked brand new. The wheel cylinder was still extended and the only way I could get it to close was to break the bleeder loose. I got my wife to gently push the brake pedal and watched the cylinder extend and again it locked and I had to break the bleeder. I took the wheel cylinder apart, cleaned it, put it back together, bleed the brakes, all looked good lot of fluid no air but same result when applying the brakes. My question is should I buy a new cylinder or do you think it may be something else wrong? The brake hardware (springs) are only about 6 months old. Thanks for any help. Den

Reply to
den630

Hmm, sounds like the the master cylinder has a blocked return port ..you should see a little pulse of fluid in the bowl when the brake is released. without the ability for the fluid to return to the bowl. It will act just as what you see now. It just sure odd it only happens on one side. SCOTT

Reply to
Scott S.

Collapsed brake hose. Crack the line open where the hose connects to the steel lines on the chassis and see if the wheel cylinder can be retracted.

The return springs have probably been over heated and lost their temper, replace 'em.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

a collapsed hydraulic brake hose. Thanks again Den

Reply to
den630