Right rear wheel locked up?

1996 2DR Toyota Tercel 4cyl.

Hi all, wondering if I can get some ideas........

Just went out to move my car and the right rear wheel is totally locked & not moving at all.........

Happens in forward & reverse. Brake pedal feels fine and the emergency brake is off........ When I try to move it feels like I'm running over a big bump.

Any ideas?

Reply to
ByTor

Sounds like it's probably brake related, but if you haven't even pulled the wheel to do a cursory inspection, it sounds like you're not mechanically inclined. My suggestion would be to have the car towed to a mechanic.

Reply to
Bob V

=============== My guess would be - seized caliper. Had that happen on the front and it felt like driving over rolling bumps. Be sure to remove clean and lubricate or replace the sliding pins with the caliper. Synthetic grease has the highest temperature rating.

Reply to
nospampls2002

Thank you very much......I've found some more info and is highly leaning toward just that.......I didn't wanna remove anything just yet in case I have it towed......Certain things I can work on but when it comes to brakes I leave it to the pros........Funny thing is I haven't driven the car in 5 days......Ah well, S*%t happens I suppose.

Thank you again........ ;0)

Reply to
ByTor

Reply to
Ray O

Towing with locked wheel !? I would not recommend that, but it might work loose during the trip, or your tire will be grinded down. Seriously, Trying to work it loose by trying to drive back and forth could help, but could also ruin your transmission (clutch). Is that drum or disc brakes? With disc brakes you might be able to force the pads from the disc if you remove the wheel, but if you do not know what you are doing you can also make serious damage. With drum brakes you will not be able to remove the drum if the brake is stuck on, but may be the handbrake wire or the adjusters can be moved. You just have to know what you are doing - or leave it to somone that really knows.

Asbjørn

Reply to
Asbjørn

In article , snipped-for-privacy@frisurf.no,=20 Asbj=F8rn says... =20

They are drum brakes.....The towing with a locked wheel is a concern of=20 mine. My mechanic is aware already & a tow truck is on the way......I=20 expressed my concern about towing with the locked wheel and he said it=20 should be okay...(of course I requested a flat bed)

Thank you very much for your comments.....

Reply to
ByTor

Hey, let us know!

This car does indeed have drum brakes. I hope someone didn't do what I did and install the adjuster backwards. I figured it out before I drove the car, though.

THis is a very simple system; the drum, the shoes, the adjusters and the E-Brake cable.

The one time this happened to my Tercel, I somehow magaed to pick up part of a branch somewher that wedged itself into the brake cable and put enough pressure on it to yank the cable!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Will do ta let ya know........... ;0)

Tow guy took it away and I assume my mechanic didn't get to it=20 yet.....The tower thinks it may be the emergency brake jamming the wheel=20 but how come the other didn't lock up either....E brake is only=20 connected to the 2 rears right? The wheel slid pulling it up on the=20 flatbed....Ahhhhhhhhh!

Anyway, I'll know tomorrow for sure......This is the same mechanic=20 anyway that worked on the brakes before so.............?

Reply to
ByTor

Will do ta let ya know........... ;0)

Tow guy took it away and I assume my mechanic didn't get to it yet.....The tower thinks it may be the emergency brake jamming the wheel but how come the other didn't lock up either....E brake is only connected to the 2 rears right? The wheel slid pulling it up on the flatbed....Ahhhhhhhhh!

Anyway, I'll know tomorrow for sure......This is the same mechanic anyway that worked on the brakes before so.............?

------------- A stuck bell crank on the RR wheel is the likely culprit.

Reply to
Ray O

They are drum brakes.....The towing with a locked wheel is a concern of mine. My mechanic is aware already & a tow truck is on the way......I expressed my concern about towing with the locked wheel and he said it should be okay...(of course I requested a flat bed)

Thank you very much for your comments.....

Of course I didn't mean to have it towed with the locked wheel on the ground. Flat bed would work, but also any good tow truck would have wheel dollies that they can place under your wheel.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Reply to
Bob V

My brother is suffering this exact problem on his 4runner as we speak. It also has drum rears and keeps locking the back right wheel. We've had the drum off and checked the lot over at least once, still not figured it out - something elusive or very intermittent in this case. Info on the end result would be appreciated - we had considered just doing a disc conversion as its the same axle/suspension setup as Landcruiser colorado :)

Coyoteboy

In article ,=20 snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com, Bob V says... =20

Oh no I knew exactly what ya meant, I think I just worded it=20 stupidly...... ;0)

I didn't really like the idea of the tire dragging while they pulled it=20 up on the bed but it went up okay....He had no wheel dollys & I=20 specifically told the insurance people I had a frozen wheel....Shoulda=20 called this garage myself & told em.... This car is my baby and it's in pristine condition to boot (99K mi. and=20 runs like a champ)....My other issue is the muffler system, appears that=20 a portion that's connected with a clamp behind muffler/CConverter rotted=20 the pipe but I'll be damn if I'm relacing the whole exhaust just for=20 that. The muffler & Cat Converter are still in excellent condition as=20 well as the remaining section of pipe.......Supposedly original factory=20 is a 2 part system where after market is 3......Total to replace all is=20 almost $400.00 just in parts.....Yeah!!! Okay...........

Reply to
ByTor

Hopefully my mechanic will let me know soon, haven't heard yet....Will definately let ya know what happens.

Reply to
ByTor

You dont think the tow truck driver will have the sense to tow it rear first?

David

ByTor wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

"quietguy" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVE-TO-REPLYconfidential-counselling.com...

Hopefully not, since towing with the front wheels on the ground will ruin the transmission.

Reply to
Ray O