1994 Ram D250 will not warm up

I bought a 1994 Ram D250 that was a Navy Van. The problem is that I can only get between 12 and 14 MPG (no load). I think the Navy people took the thermostat out. So, that would make it run rich (low heat also) and kill my MPG, right?

I'm in the process of tuning the van up, so I will see if the MPG goes up, but the temp gauge never gets above 1/3.

As soon as it warms up I'll get out there to check (doesn't look easy to get too), a follow up question is what temp thermostat should I use in the D250 ?

Thanks

Reply to
newworldactor

Another possibility is that the thermostat is stuck open. 198F degree thermostat would be normal. Otherwise, your friendly local parts store counterman should be able to tell you what the stock 'stat is.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

sorry dude if that has a 360/5.9l 13-14mpg is good i get 11 city 14-16 hwy on my 2002 ram1500

Reply to
mpberti

Mopar V-8 and V-6 engines aren't known for the best gas mileage, are they? Oh well, you can't have everything!

Reply to
NapalmHeart

It has the 4.9l V8 in it. But my research tell me that there is only a

1 mpg difference between the the 4.9 and 5.8 liter engine. Oh well.

But I still don't have a lot of heat. Would that point to no thermostat? The gauge sits around 1/3 seems low to me.

How hard is it to get to the thermostat?

I believe Advance Auto Parts sells a 195 Stant termo, should I pick that up?

Thanks

Reply to
newworldactor

It may be the heater core or the air control. The heater core can become clogged so no or little water is passing through it. Have you felt the heater hoses after it is warmed up?

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

of these sites show there are two v-8's , a 5.2 and a 5.9 i'm not saying you're wrong w/the 4.9 or that wiki is right but i couldn'tfind anything on a 4.9 in a 94 ram vanif yours is a 5.2 the thermostat can be found tucked behind the alt.at the engine end of the top rad. hoseand with a extention on your ratchet you can get to the two bolts

Reply to
samstone

both of these sites show there are two v-8's , a 5.2 and a 5.9> i'm not saying you're wrong w/the 4.9 or that wiki is right but i couldn't> find anything on a 4.9 in a 94 ram van> if yours is a 5.2 the thermostat can be found tucked behind the alt.> at the engine end of the top rad. hose> and with a extention on your ratchet you can get to the two bolts

I was wrong. It's the 3.9l V6, which for some reason get only 1 more MPG than the V8. Must be the 3 speed tranny.

I've heard the 3.9l is bullet proof, but I guess you hear that about all truck engines. Is the thermostat in the same place?

Reply to
newworldactor

Front seating area, center, under engine cover, engine end of upper radiator hose, mounted in coolant outlet housing

Reply to
samstone

Typo corrected. KO

Reply to