Another symptom on VW Caddy heater not getting warm

'08 Caddy 1.9TDi van. I notice that there is some heat inside the cab. if I rev the engine over about 2000 rpm. Below that, the cabin heater output is just cool. Measured the engine coolant temp and its 78 deg C

- so on the cool side.

Sounds like water pump would you say? thx

Reply to
mike

If it was the water pump the engine would be overheating. Thermostat seems much more likely. Air locks and a sludged heater matrix are also possible but if the coolant temp is low then your thermostat is the prime suspect.

Tim

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Oops - I should have said, - have changed the thermostat.

Yes I wondered why the engine temp is on the low side too. Can't really explain it but am certain it is the case. Steady Rev the engine for a few second and warm air comes out the heater. Back to idle, back to cold air.

I put the van up on racks, open the heater to full open and ran engine for 10 mins - still the same situation.

Looks like a sludged-up heater matrix then - which is a damn awful thing to get at in this VW.

When I changed the 'stat, the coolant that came out looked very clean!

Reply to
mike

I would look for an airlock first. you could find if the heater is sludged up by running a domestic hose pipe to it and seeing how easily the water flows through if it runs through at a dribble it is blocked, otherwise it is OK

Reply to
MrCheerful