'70 318 pickup oil drains slow

It takes a couple of hours, in fact. It also seems to require 2 quarts more than the 318 in our 1968 van, too. Dealer said "Huh?" Jiffy-Lube guy (who seemed to know what he was doing) said he'd never seen a slow drainer.

Any ideas/explanations?

Reply to
The Real Bev

Lorne

90 weight grease instead of oil.....The engine will prolly explode now.
Reply to
MoParMaN

This should be easy to figure out. Stick a pencil or the like up through drain plug hole and I will bet you you find pan it loaded up with sludge blocking drain hole. That engine is old enough together with the quality of oil back then if it was not changed often that some serious sludge could be built up in there. I would not try to flush it as that much sludge could damage motor is broken loose. If it is sludged up, the best fix would be to drop the pan and clean it out if you plan to keep vehical for a while yet.

Reply to
SnoMan

30, 10-30, whatever we have on hand. I intend to change it every 3 months (1K miles, we don't drive it much) but practice is somewhat different :-(
Reply to
The Real Bev

That's interesting. It had never occurred to me that it might be crud blocking the hole. I'll check next time.

The truck belonged to CalTrans for most of its life, and I assume it got good treatment as far as the running gear goes. The body is beat to hell, but who cares? We bought it in 1998 with 8,000 miles on the odometer. Not a clue about how many times it had gone around.

We also have a 1968 Dodge van with the same engine, which drains "normally".

The first of us to go will be buried in it!

Reply to
The Real Bev

I had that experience many years ago. I had bought a well used 6 cyl flat head Chysler and when I removed the oil pan plug nothing came out untl ran a screwdrive inot the hole to open it up. My next chore was to remove the pan and clean it out.

Old_Timer

Reply to
Old_Timer

That's what I planned on doing. This morning I opened the drain plug and the dirty oil flowed out quickly and smoothly just like it does with normal cars. First time sincd we bought it in 1999.

Makes no sense at all. Witchcraft? Gypsy curse expired?

Reply to
The Real Bev