97 2500 4.10 auto transmission

Driving down the highway today at about 70mph, felt a bump, and my tranny came out of OD. Now it appears I have no 1st gear,and no OD. Ideas?

Reply to
bfpa

Do you have 2nd and 3rd? If so, suspect problems with the front band, servo, VB, governor or governor circuit.

Check the truck for codes. If you find one, it should be for the governor.

After that, you'll have to pull the pan, check the front band for proper position, as well as the front servo piston for proper orientation in the bore.

After that is checking the VB and the governor for valve malfunction.

Reply to
Max Dodge

will it go into '1' if you put the selector in '1' ?\

Reply to
TranSurgeon

No, it won't shift into 1st at all. 2nd and 3rd seem to be fine.

Reply to
bfpa

that's really strange...........the hydraulics of the manual lever should over-ride the governor hydraulics in '1'

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Even when brand new, the lever would not allow a shift into "1" unless my speed was below approx. 15 mph. When I would shift into "1", the shift would not occur until my speed was slowed.

Reply to
bfpa

Sounds like the transmission has gone into the limp mode.

Reply to
John Kunkel

'limp mode' ??????

on a 518 ???????

HAHAHAHA

Reply to
TranSurgeon

'97 is an RE.

Reply to
John Kunkel

yes, and an 'RE' is hydraulically shifted, via a governor pressure solenoid and transducer for 1-2-3, and electrically enabled for 4th off the same governor pressure circuit, and electrically off of 3rd oil for L/U

there is no 'limp mode on the A500 /518 /618 family

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Oh? Perhaps you haven't read Daimler-Chrysler literature regarding the situation (too busy looking at your image in the mirror).

Below is a direct quote from DC TSB 21-04-00 referring to the '96-'99 46RE transmission:

"The vehicle operator may experience slower than normal vehicle accelerations because the transmission may have temporarily entered its third gear "Limp-in" mode as a result of the DTC. The "Limp- In" mode may last until the vehicle owner cycles the ignition key. The technician may not detect a problem with the automatic transmission during a diagnostic test or test drive."

The quotation marks surrounding "Limp-in" are DC's, not mine; making it rather obvious that the "A500 /518 /618 family" does indeed go into a limp mode under certain circumstances. Got a problem with that? Talk to DC.

Reply to
John Kunkel

first off, a 97 2500 would have a 47RE if a V-8, and a 48RE if a V-10, so this TSB does not apply to the vehicle in question

second, Mopar's use of quotation marks indicates that this is a non-factory-programmed event, kind of like windows 98 freezing up

if it were a factory programed mode, Limp Mode would be called Limp Mode, not "limp-in"

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Just to put this whole issue to bed, I replaced the overdrive/lockup solenoid, the governor pressure switch,the governor pressure solenoid, and put in a valve body kit. All better now. Thanks.

Reply to
bfpa

Just to put this whole issue to bed, I replaced the overdrive/lockup solenoid, the governor pressure switch,the governor pressure solenoid, and put in a valve body kit. All better now. Thanks.

Reply to
bfpa

In '97, the 47RE was the biggest trans (48RE didn't come out until '03.5), and only went to the V10 and Cummins trucks. The 360 got the 46RE.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

AU CONTRAIRE!! The TSB specifically refers to all RE's. Again, a direct quote from the TSB: "THIS INFORMATION APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A RE SERIES AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION BUILT BEFORE DECEMBER 18, 1998 (MDH 1218XX)"

The original post didn't specify an engine size but only the diesel and V-10 had the 47RE in '97, the 48RE came along much later.

If it automatically reverts to a certain gear when an error occurs it is a "factory-programmed event", just like Windows 98 flashing a blue screen.

Picky, picky. I suppose it depends on the definition of limp.

Reply to
John Kunkel

Reply to
TranSurgeon

REALLY ?

then why did you specifically say '46RE' originally ?

any 2500-series will have a 518, or 618 if later V-10 or Diesel

yes, it does

and your interpretation of 'limp-in' is wrong

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Irrelevant since you clearly stated that a transmission of the "A500, 518,

618" family could not enter such a mode regardless of what the mode is called. All of the RE series falls within that family. You're wrong, get over it.

Says you. I think the TSB's description of locking in 3rd gear clearly fits the classic definition of the limp mode. You're wrong, get over it.

Reply to
John Kunkel

FWIW, there is no limp home mode mentioned in any form in the '00 FSM description of operation of the 46/47RE

Reply to
Max Dodge