Auto diiming rearview mirrors

I just got a 2006 dakota SLT and the only thing it doesn't have that i will miss from my old truck is the electrochromic (auto dimming) rear view mirror. Does anyone know if the truck comes prewired from the factory for this.... Harness already under overhead console and ready for new part to be pluged in, or is this a major PIA. Or can I get really nuts and try the telmatatic (bluetooth phone) mirror. I have the RAQ radio that supports hands free phone. Thanks for any help. Derrick

Reply to
Phoneman

Suddenly, without warning, Phoneman exclaimed (11-Feb-06 12:31 PM):

Man, aren't we spoiled! I was overjoyed that my 2001 truck has a day/night mirror (last vehicle didn't)![1]

Just kidding, but seriously, as I've never heard of such a thing, what's the advantage of an autodimming rearview mirror over the lever, that'd make it worth the extra $ and one thing more that can break?

Oh, btw, if you're talking about the OUTSIDE mirror, I can easily see (excuse the pun) why that'd be something well worth the money.

jmc

[1] And I walked 10 miles to school, every day, uphill both ways!
Reply to
jmc

Thanks

the center rear view will automatically switch from day to night mode when it sees headlights coming up behind you. this allows you to still see clearly without any flash from headlamps when you forget to switch manually

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Suddenly, without warning, Christopher Thompson exclaimed (11-Feb-06

5:46 PM):

Yea but... IMHO, this sounds like an expensive nice-to-have when all you have to do is go "argh! Lights! I musta forgot to switch to night! ::switch::" Problem solved. Now, dimmers for the outside rearview mirror, I'd pay for that.

salt grain: I specifically purchased a truck without power door locks, windows, etc, 'cause they're just one more thing to break, and something I also didn't feel I needed. Regret that sometimes now, for the very simple reason I can't reach the passenger door from the drivers seat :)

jmc

Reply to
jmc

I have that mirror in our 99 ram.. never seen it dim.. (yeah, it's on) Mac

mac davis

Bro, you make it to easy.

I'll just bet it is too.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

your's work?

My guess is that the tinted camper mirror keeps it from "sensing" high beams... (could be the "Protected by Smith & Wesson" bumper sticker, though)

Mac

mac davis

I've only had them on a couple of GM cars and they worked great.

That'd do it.

Roy

Reply to
Roy