Backing up boat trailer - tailpipe underwater

The sad part is you are a moron incapable of using a news reader properly. The header indicates you are replying to me but the text is not my post. I will repost what I wrote, see if you can follow along this time.

As usual it appears you pulled this * theory * out of your ass. Where do you get all these bullshit *theories* from ? I can tell you for a FACT you are full of shit, as usual. I have owned four wheel drive trucks for the past 30 years and use them off road quite often. I have owned 4, 6 and 8 cylinder trucks with stock exhaust, dual exhaust, headers, with converters and without converters. I have had them idling in deep water and shallow water at any angle you can imagine. I have even shut them off while in the water. NOT ONCE have I had a problem with water entering the engine through the exhaust. I have been on organized four wheel drive runs where there were dozens of other vehicles in the group. NOT ONCE did anyone have a problem with water entering an engine through the exhaust. I have to call bullshit on your *theory*.

Now the OP stated that he needed his lifters replaced. Now I would like you to explain how water got into his lifters through the exhaust without doing any other damage to his engine ? I can't wait to hear this *theory*.

And while you are explaining things I would also like to know where the knock sensor is on a V-10 engine in a dodge pick up.

Reply to
Mike

Okay, so you and Al Gore invented the GPS system 30 years ago... Thing is, your theory about negative exhaust pulses "percolating" water up the tail pipe in no way explains how his -lifters- got damaged as a result.

Gotta say, you've really outdone yourself this time Snojob.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Hole, I snipped all your useless BS. Now before you make a total ass of yourself again in this thread why don't you go back to the other threads where you have proven to be a total ass and correct your mistakes? You are really spreading yourself thin here.

With regards to your sig, remember I said before that you weren't worthy of being called a Asshole and I was going to address you as Hole. Well, looking at your sig I think for appearance sake the Ass sorta fits. What do ya think? It does have a certain ring to it.

Reply to
Roy

Can we ever ever stay on the topic of the thread? No offense...but each thread eventually turns into a bash session. Not disagreeing with the reasons. It's my experience that just simply ignoring the root cause of the BS usually helps.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Prolly not, it would be boring as hell if we did.

Reply to
MoParMaN

The OP and the topic has been pretty much addressed by you and a couple of others.

When it comes to Hole and his dangerous and misleading BS there is a pretty good chance that will happen

The root seems to want to continue and as long as he does I'll me there to address it. Believe me I'll have plenty of time to. I'm out of work for at least 3 weeks due to a OJI. So Laz, you and the rest have my apologies but we all deal with things differently. Imo, Hole is a dangerous person who posts wrong, misleading and dangerous info and advice that will cause one who does what he advocates in his post'ws to damage something or possibly get hurt. So ignoring is not going to cut it as I see it.

Again my apologies if you and other's are offended.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Call it what you want but if I hold a five gallon bucket up the exhaust of my idling truck, it does not suck the water up the exhaust, it blows bubbles..

So you are saying the average pressure in the exhaust at idle is negative???? Are you implying to my simple brain that my Dodge sucks????

You forgot the fourth kind. The ones that talk out their ass. I know, your modesty prevented you from mentioning it. Did you notice something in this little debate......nobody here is disagreeing that an exhaust will have positive and negative pulses but the negative pulses will not suck water in the engine. In more simple terms, the positives outweigh the negatives..understand??

Reply to
Denny

Snoman:

Sadly, your hypothesis is badly flawed in spite of your assumed knowledge of the physics of expanding and cooling gases which actually have little or nothing to do with your "theory"

First, yes, there is a "slight" negative pulse however this pulse is grossly outweighed by the positive flow of hot exhaust gases. If your hypothesis were true and an exhaust system on an otherwise healthy engine could indeed ingest water, how could the exhaust gases ever escape to overcome the negative pressure? Yet, miraculously, somehow they do.

Also, to test the veracity of your hypothesis, travel to any lake nearby your home and look for an old fashioned inboard runabout. Somehow, they manage to avoid water ingestion without the need of restrictors or any other such nonsense.

Your really should take the time to review your theories before exposing them to public ridicule.

BTW, the oil starvation theory in a later post sounds the most plausible to me, but we don't have enough info to make an intelligent diagnosis.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Having spent 10 years working with exhaust systems engineers with Arvin Industries, I can say, based on what I learned from them, you're full of it.

The ONLY exhaust systems with definite negative pressure at the tips belong to engines with HIGH OVERLAP CAMS or BURNT VALVES. Not to mention the vacuum effect and it's duration are still insufficient to suck up more than a couple ounces of water and no farther than the first upward turn of the pipes.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

No, that would be you.

And far too complicated for you. If you have 100 CFM (demonstrative figure) going into an engine, expanded by heating to 300 CFM (demonstrative figure), how many CFM will be exiting the exhaust valve? the exhaust tip?

ROTFLMBO!!!!!!! the exhausts on OLDER inboards from the 20's to the 70's had one thing in common, water in the pipe. No baffles, just water-cooled exhaust.

So . . .you claim to have worked on the GPS system. Big Deal! I worked alongside a future Vice President for a few hours. big deal. We were both in the National Guard at the time. big deal.

At the same time I was working with Arvin engineers in the Franklin Indiana plant and asking questions about how exhaust systems work.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Hole!!! I don't believe you posted this!! (also don't believe I missed it) Now how about following the only worthwhile thing you've posted! Oh, you can answer those questions regarding the V10 anytime, a bunch of us are waiting.

While I have your attention, ya never got back to me regards your sig. I guess you must like it.

Reply to
Roy

I guess you may be correct...maybe not. Fact of the matter is I have

better things to do than to refute the info you state. That does not mean

I will accept it as fact...I just have better things to do.

That being said...and lets say you are correct. I find it utterly impossible

to accept that any sort of negative pulse could, in any way shape or form,

suck water up an incline of maybe 10-15 or so degrees, through the muffler

(which being hot as hell would turn any water into vapor and expel said vapor)

through the cat, and then directly upwards into the head pipe (hot as balls)

into the manifold (hotter than balls) and after this water somehow made it's

way past these areas...made it into the oil passages galleys etc to do damage

to the lifters? Come on now!!

I know I requested things to stay on topic but I understand the rebuttal

which was submitted so I just had to interject things in laymen's terms.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

The guy has a point, there are negative pressure impulses, that's as far as he gets. Even with the aspirator air injection system Chrysler used when a full smog pump wasn't called for, it required a one way valve to get AIR into the exhaust. There is NO way, no how, water got in the engine from the tailpipe while running.

IF water got into the cylinder it wouldn't likely (extremely unlikely) cause lifter failure, it would cause hydraulic lock, usually resulting in a bent rod.

Reply to
BigIronRam

I don't see how water can make its way through the muffler and cat all the way into the engine. Even if it made it a little ways up looks like the heat from the pipe would turn the water into steam.

Scott

Reply to
Scott

On he top of his head.

The "negative pressure pulses" are relative. There is a delta pressure inside the exhaust system, but it is above atmospheric. There are diagnostic tools available that are inserted into the exhaust pipe that measure these pulses, the tool software then correlates these pulses to cylinder identification and displays them on a lab scope, the lab scope signal is AC coupled to further define the pulse waves but the overall exhaust pressure is above atmospheric.

Precisely! Aspirator systems didn't admit air continuously, they admitted it in little gulps and I doubt that they'd be effective at all mounted at the tail end of the exhaust system.

Not to mention the damage to the exhaust valves from thermal shock, the damage to the O2 sensors from thermal shock, the damage to the exhaust manifolds from thermal shock.

Snojob must have been suffering from an acute case of techno-mumbo-jumbo and an extreme need to be thought of as more learned than the other 6 billion humans on the planet.

Maybe if we're nice to him, he'll invite us to his next 'kookout'.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I think he meant I had a point...not snohole.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

He (BIR) was replying to your reply to Snojob. So, the "he" in this case is Snojob. :-)

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Yer wastin' yer time Budd... he KNOWS all about physics

;^)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

To paraphrase ol' William

"Oh what fools these mortals be where, when first themselves they seek to deceive"

Reply to
Budd Cochran

What in the hell is the difference of paraphrasing Shakespear this poorly and misquoting the bible?

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep