Backing up boat trailer - tailpipe underwater

Page 2 of 3
wrote:

Hole!!! I don't believe you posted this!! (also don't believe I missed it) Now how about following the only worthwhile thing you've posted! Oh, you can answer those questions regarding the V10 anytime, a bunch of us are waiting.
While I have your attention, ya never got back to me regards your sig. I guess you must like it.

I guess you may be correct...maybe not. Fact of the matter is I have
better things to do than to refute the info you state. That does not mean
I will accept it as fact...I just have better things to do.
That being said...and lets say you are correct. I find it utterly impossible
to accept that any sort of negative pulse could, in any way shape or form,
suck water up an incline of maybe 10-15 or so degrees, through the muffler
(which being hot as hell would turn any water into vapor and expel said vapor)
through the cat, and then directly upwards into the head pipe (hot as balls)
into the manifold (hotter than balls) and after this water somehow made it's
way past these areas...made it into the oil passages galleys etc to do damage
to the lifters? Come on now!!
I know I requested things to stay on topic but I understand the rebuttal
which was submitted so I just had to interject things in laymen's terms.
Laszlo Almasi
The guy has a point, there are negative pressure impulses, that's as far as he gets. Even with the aspirator air injection system Chrysler used when a full smog pump wasn't called for, it required a one way valve to get AIR into the exhaust. There is NO way, no how, water got in the engine from the tailpipe while running.
IF water got into the cylinder it wouldn't likely (extremely unlikely) cause lifter failure, it would cause hydraulic lock, usually resulting in a bent rod.

On he top of his head.

The "negative pressure pulses" are relative. There is a delta pressure inside the exhaust system, but it is above atmospheric. There are diagnostic tools available that are inserted into the exhaust pipe that measure these pulses, the tool software then correlates these pulses to cylinder identification and displays them on a lab scope, the lab scope signal is AC coupled to further define the pulse waves but the overall exhaust pressure is above atmospheric.

Precisely! Aspirator systems didn't admit air continuously, they admitted it in little gulps and I doubt that they'd be effective at all mounted at the tail end of the exhaust system.

Not to mention the damage to the exhaust valves from thermal shock, the damage to the O2 sensors from thermal shock, the damage to the exhaust manifolds from thermal shock.
Snojob must have been suffering from an acute case of techno-mumbo-jumbo and an extreme need to be thought of as more learned than the other 6 billion humans on the planet.
Maybe if we're nice to him, he'll invite us to his next 'kookout'.
I think he meant I had a point...not snohole.
Laszlo Almasi

He (BIR) was replying to your reply to Snojob. So, the "he" in this case is Snojob. :-)

Snoman:
Sadly, your hypothesis is badly flawed in spite of your assumed knowledge of the physics of expanding and cooling gases which actually have little or nothing to do with your "theory"
First, yes, there is a "slight" negative pulse however this pulse is grossly outweighed by the positive flow of hot exhaust gases. If your hypothesis were true and an exhaust system on an otherwise healthy engine could indeed ingest water, how could the exhaust gases ever escape to overcome the negative pressure? Yet, miraculously, somehow they do.
Also, to test the veracity of your hypothesis, travel to any lake nearby your home and look for an old fashioned inboard runabout. Somehow, they manage to avoid water ingestion without the need of restrictors or any other such nonsense.
Your really should take the time to review your theories before exposing them to public ridicule.
BTW, the oil starvation theory in a later post sounds the most plausible to me, but we don't have enough info to make an intelligent diagnosis.
Mike

Or Budd.
beekeep
On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 00:44:29 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@radix.net (beekeep) wrote:

ahhhhh, that may be taking it a bit far greg.

snipped-for-privacy@whatever.net wrote:

Nah. beekeep should quit his day job. I've gotten more laughs the past week from this ng than any comedian that comes to town ...
Craig C.
Having spent 10 years working with exhaust systems engineers with Arvin Industries, I can say, based on what I learned from them, you're full of it.
The ONLY exhaust systems with definite negative pressure at the tips belong to engines with HIGH OVERLAP CAMS or BURNT VALVES. Not to mention the vacuum effect and it's duration are still insufficient to suck up more than a couple ounces of water and no farther than the first upward turn of the pipes.
--
Budd Cochran

To paraphrase ol' William
"Oh what fools these mortals be where, when first themselves they seek to deceive"
--
Budd Cochran

What in the hell is the difference of paraphrasing Shakespear this poorly and misquoting the bible?
beekeep
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 13:33:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@radix.net (beekeep) wrote:

yeah, this isn't even a paraphrase. lol. that was just sad.
SnoMan wrote:

I don't see how water can make its way through the muffler and cat all the way into the engine. Even if it made it a little ways up looks like the heat from the pipe would turn the water into steam.
Scott
I don't know about hemi's but my cummins exhaust has never given me a problem when sunk in water or mud.

Well, I seriously doubt the repair was caused by water intrusion. I myself have had my vehicle in water at ramps and once even through 3 to 3 1/2 feet of water for 1/4 and no damage at all. Granted I was nervous as hell but my Ram made it all the way. This is a 2001 2500 4x4, no lift kit...standard height.
Laszlo Almasi
That was 1/4 mile distance.
Laszlo Almasi
I'm probably way off base here, but it sounds like low oil to me.That would account for the rough running, the hydraulic lifters going bad quickly, and even the check engine light (which does come on when oil/oil pressure gets really low).Just my 1.5 cents (adjusted for inflation).