code 43 with check engine light

I have a 97 ram 1500 with the 5.9 gas motor, the check engine light came on and I retrieved the code by on-off-on-off-on-off-on way and got 43. any ideas to what may be causing it. It idles rough and is rough of the starts from a stop. I first thought bad gas, cause my other car idled rough till I put heet in and some better gas, did same with Ram but didn't help. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Russ

probably an O2 sensor

get it scanned with a REAL scanner to make sure

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Code 43 - "Peak primary circuit current not achieved within the maximum dwell time".

There could be a lot of things that actually trip this code, but mostly ignition-related. When's the last time the engine had a complete tune-up? How old are the wires, particularly the coil wire? Check the 12V side of the coil for corrosion on the connectors. It may also be time for a new coil altogether (and if this is still the original coil, I'd just change it out as a matter of course).

Reply to
Tom Lawrence