Cummins, the continuing saga

Ok, my Cummins was running rough occasionally. I take it to the dealer last week, get a bit of a bs story, a "fuel system" cleaning, and sent on my merry way. Oh, BTW, it's got about 2,800 miles on it, on '06 3500.

Today, I was sitting in the truck, in park, running the engine at different rpms. Idle seems to be set at about 800 rpms and it will hold that steady. If I push the accelerator pedal to get the rpms to

1,000, the rpms will go from 1,000 to just about 1,100, then back to 1,000. The cycle repeats at about 5 to 7 second intervals. Other than at idle, there doesn't seem to be any rpm I've tried, from 900 to 2,000, that this doesn't happen. It is virtually impossible to hold a steady above idle rpm and the variance is anywhere from 50 to 100 rpms, at 5 to 7 second intervals.

I doubt if this is normal, but if it is, let me know. Otherwise, I'd sure appreciate any opinions on here about what might be happening before I have to go back to the dealer.

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Reply to
sazrac

Intake grid cycling? Watch the volt meter. When the rpm drops does the voltage drop too? If my heater blower is running on high I can hear the fan speed change when the grid cycles. The headlights even dim a bit when the grid is on.

Reply to
Nosey

Tell me more about that issue. I dont have an idle problem, but on my 2000 I hear a click and the lights in side the truck dim (outside not even on) and another click they brighten. No heater or anything else running.

Reply to
GeekBoy

It's not an issue. It's normal for the diesel engine in the Ram. If you have a diesel engine read this:

If yours is a gas engine it's probably the air conditioner compressor cycling. When my heater grid cycles I don't hear a click but when my compressor cycles I do.

Reply to
Nosey

Okay thanks for that info. I got the truck this past April and never noticed it until like a few days ago and its been cold quite often

Reply to
GeekBoy