Diesel Fuel Prices

Well then Miles, if this is true then it more than proves my point that conservation IS THE ANSWER. Gas prices here have dropped close to 20 cents a gallon in some areas and if demand has not gone up...

And the last time this happened the American auto manufacturers lost major ground that they have never reclaimed. If GM goes under, this country will fall into a depression the likes of which we have never seenand that would not look good for either Bush or the conservative party. Gas companies are no different than any other company and yes, they can and do control the price of their product which is evident by their record profits and yes, if the pressure is put on them, they can creativly lower them.

LOL, sorry Miles but as we have already discussed, these current hybrids are the foundation for tomorrows possible fuel cell vehicles. Now if you really think that they have done nothing else, lets see a little of that proof that you keep asking of me or this conclusion of yours is also nothing more than a guess.

Reply to
TBone

Only sweet crude thats used for gasoline is worth anything?

Reply to
miles

20 cents from what point? You seem to be happy it dropped 20 cents, even though it went up 50 prior to that. You think conservation is whats lowered gas prices? Too bad they really haven't lowerd. Just down from a level well above the mean.

Hybrid technology will contribute little to other possible fuel sources. Plus it's expensive, heavy, bulky etc.

I'm supposed to prove what they HAVEN'T done? There goes your old case of reverse scrambled logic!!

Reply to
miles

Incidentally, Alaska North Slope (ANS) crude is priced on the world market, and sells for about $3 a barrel less than the average. It hit a peak of something like $55 a barrel a short time back, and as with other oil is now significantly less. I don't remember what is was yesterday, but something like $42 a barrel.

Not that Alaskans are hung up on oil, mind you... but the Anchorage Daily News prints a graph in the paper every day showing the current price and the price over the past several months. It indicates the peak price, and there is also a straight line across the graph marked as the price required for the state's current budget to break even. (We aren't all hung up on oil, but our Legislature certainly are.)

ANS is indeed not "sweet crude", however virtually all of the gasoline and diesel/jet fuel produced in Alaska (which is a significant amount of jet fuel) comes from ANS. And the majority of all gasoline sold on the west coast (probably 100% in states other than California) is refined from ANS.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

You do know what sweet crude is, don't you? It does not have to be sweet crude to make gasoline and sweet crude can be used for other things besides gas.

Reply to
TBone

LOL, talk about that right wing fuzzy logic. Sure I'm happy that it dropped. I would be happier that it never went up and know that it probably will again and will take that into account when I buy my next vehicle.

LOL, if they went down, then they were lowered, any way that you try to spin it. The fact is that the price of oil is going down as you have said and the reason is higher than expected inventories, even though we are going into the peak driving season AND there is a higher demand for fuel for yard maintenance equipment as well. The only way this can happen is either the oil storage tanks have developed a way to make their own oil or conservation (forced or not) has reduced demand below current supply. It is either that or it is artificial price manipulation and control, something else that you said could not be done. Either way Miles, you are still wrong.

Sorry Miles, but you are wrong once again. Hybrid vehicles are the test bed for newer technologies. You keep talking about fuel cell vehicles when it is obvious that you don't have a clue as to what they are. A fuel cell develops ELECTRICITY and in order to use it, you need electric motors. Now as I'm sure you know, electric motors have a huge variation on demand for current and the easiest and most economical way to deal with that is for the fuel cell to charge high capacity batteries that then supply the required current to the motor(s). Sounds a lot like a hybrid now, doesn't it. Then you can add in the facts that a whole new set of systems and technology needs to be developed and perfected for fully electric vehicles to function to our current expectations and what better platform to develop them on!

IOW, you can't do it so your conclusion that they have done nothing is as you say to me, nothing more than a guess and an incorrect one at that.

Reply to
TBone

How much oil does the USA import from Canada? What type of oil is it? Whats it primarily used for? The answers are pretty much the same as that of Alaskan oil. Your statement that since Alaskan oil isn't sweet crude therefore its worthless makes no sense.

Reply to
miles

Here you go again thinking that a slight drop in USA gas consumption is why global oil prices are dropping. Wait a sec here, you said oil prices have stayed right around $50, now you say they are dropping? You'll argue either side of a case if it fits your warped mind.

Reply to
miles

LOL, that is the idea of a global market Miles. If the demand drops somewhere, the price drops everywhere. BTW, I never said that the consumption drop had to occur in the US to effect the price, only that since we use so much that we can have the greatest effect.

Funny how you accuse me of exactly what you are doing. Is this your way of throwing people off, LOL? The thing is Miles, you have said that the oil companies cannot control the price AND that conservation will have NO effect on the price of fuel. Yet, the price of fuel has skyrocketed in the past (claimed demand exceeding supply) and is now falling significantly in many areas when it should be seasonally rising. This clearly indicates that either production has increased, consumption has reduced (conservation) or that the oil companies are manipulating the price. Since the refineries are already at max output (the supposed reason for the steep price increases to begin with) increased production is obviously not the reason for the price drop which leaves price manipulation and conservation as the only possible reasons and yet, you say that it can be neither when actually, it is probably a little of both. Talk about a warped mind.

Reply to
TBone

I suppose we CAN, but the USA is not the reason for oil prices climbing rapidly nor is it the reason they're falling a bit. Rapid demand for oil, primarily in China is why oil prices skyrocketed. Now, do you know why prices have now fallen a bit? Conservation? Hardly.

Reply to
miles

You keep flapping your lips but I have yet to see any facts come out. If you know a different reason then lets hear it with some facts to back it up for a change.

Reply to
TBone

You had no idea why prices went up. I just told you the main reason. Huge demand in China. That is no secret yet you have no clue so you rant away wanting me to teach you step by step.

Reply to
miles

LOL, sorry Miles, but your rambling is really starting to show just how little you really know. I already said that the price went up because demand was exceeding supply (additional demand from China). Now what you need to come up with is a valid reason why the price is going back down which is something that you have yet to do.

Poor attempt to spin Miles. I never claimed not to know why the price went up and have said the reason MANY times but you have yet to come up with a single reason why it went back down. You say that I want you to teach me step by step but in reality, all I want is a valid reason as to why it is going back down and that is something that you have yet to or will ever give.

Reply to
TBone

It makes perfect sense, you are just not bright enough to understand it.

Reply to
TBone

Several reasons. Oil production has risen, idle refineries have come back online, speculation of future high oil demand never materialized bringing oil futures back down. Oh, but I know, it was mainly hybrids and conservation.

Yes, I have stated the above a few times. You just keep reverting to hybrids and conservation and ignore reality of whats going on in the world though. Its a bit bigger picture that what you wish to focus on.

Reply to
miles

LOL, you really are kinda funny Miles but at least now you have something to say. To bad you still don't back anything up. Exactly what idle refineries have come back online? Lets see a link. Now even if this were true, how would that lower the price of oil. Refineries don't run for free so even though they may increase supply, they do it at a cost. I see that you are also talking about the speculation of high demand that never materialized. Why do you think that is never did? Could conservation have something to do with it or was the hype nothing more than artificial price control????

Yes Miles, you do make many foggy and unsupported statements all of the time. The fact is that you do repeatedly use the reduction in demand as a primary reason for the reduction in the price of oil but fail to explain how this reduction in demand occurs. I believe that you just don't want to accept the fact that conservation can and does work because then God forbid, you may feel the need to possibly give up something.

Reply to
TBone