Diesel oil questions ...

Hi,

I have mentioned this topic before, but I need a bit more detail. First, I have a 2004 Ram 2500, Cummins 305/555, auto, 4wd, etc ...

I got 6 years of free oil changes from the dealer. My plan was to use this service until I hit 15000 and then I was going to start changing my own oil with Premium Blue synthetic (Cummins suggestion).

The oil the dealership uses is Mopar 15w-40. I'm assuming this is probably Rotella ... ? Anyone know for sure?

Regardless, this is a 10 year truck and I want to use the best fluids in it. Is it worth, in your opinions, using the synthetic rather than letting the dealership change my oil for free?

Let the flaming begin ...

Thanks Craig C.

Reply to
craig

Mopar packages their own oil. But I am not sure who they get it from. It used to be Continental the last few times I got a skid of oil from Chrysler, the skids had Mobil stamped on the side. I do know the Mopar 15W40 is blended for the Cummins. As long the dealer was using the proper oil and filter, I would let them change it. I would check on that though. If they are doing it for free, there is a chance they are not using Mopar filters or oil.

Reply to
gunbunny31

Hey, Craig, in my reading of the Cummins site back when I bought my 02

2500 235/460 they said to NOT use synthetic for the break-in period (5,000-20,000 miles. I use that information to build a theory that the synthetic protects so well that the engine won't break in properly. Yes, I could be wrong in my interpretation of their statement, but that's what I think. So, by that logic, running synthetic would be great for making your engine last the years (once it was properly broken in).

Cummins recommends that you not use synthetic motor oil during the break-in period of 5000-20,000 miles, based on the type of driving, to allow proper seating of the piston rings. Beyond that mileage it is OK to use synthetic oil."

I'm using the Shell 5w-40 Synthetic now but I don't have enough gauages (namely oil temp) to know what, if any diff it's made. But I feel better 'cause I think it protects better. I just went to my second oil change on it and after 1,000 miles it was still mostly golden in color and not black, for what that's worth.

HTH.

--HC

Reply to
HC

For 11 years my dealer put Quaker State in my '92, and I never had any problems for the 110,000 miles I put on it.. Traded it for a new one in '03 (same engine/driveline as yours). Dealer is still using QS, and I don't anticipate any problems. Of course, the heaviest use of either truck was/is pulling a 9000 lb. travel trailer. If I wanted, dealer would put in MoPar synthetic, now that my '03 has 20,000 miles on it, but I change oil often enough that the dealer doesn't really think that it is necessary. Old truck is still in the area, pulling someone else's trailer, and still going strong.

Reply to
Fredrick Brender