? for Tom Lawrence

Tom I wrote earlier about my truck miss-firing when the fuel get low, 'Strange Problem'. I am not clear as to where the hose you are talking about is located? Inside the fuel tank or outside, if it is part of the fuel pump assembly shouldn't that have been replaced as a part of the fuel pump assembly? I understand, that what should be replaced isn't always done by some mechanics' and this may be the case. I am just trying to be sure, I understand what I am looking for, when I drop the tank and check-out/fix my problem. Again, thank for your help David

Reply to
DMSO

Yes, it's part of the fuel pump module - it connects the fuel pump to the regulator. It's possible that only the fuel pump itself was replaced, instead of the entire module.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Why would that hose have anything to do with it? That hose is after the pump and would not have any ability to cause air to be sucked into the system. Now the hose that connects the pre-filter to the pump would cause this problem when the fuel level fell below that of the pump and the tear in the connection.

Reply to
TBone

Okay.... stick a straw in your mouth. Plug the end with a spitball. Blow through the straw. Spitball goes flying out, right?

Now cut a slit in the straw, and repeat the experiment. Do you get the same pressure propelling the spitball?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Reply to
DMSO

Tom Last question on this subject..I Hope! Are these hose we are talking about, something I have order/get from the dealer. Or can I find them at a 'good' auto parts store? I am planning on dropping the tank this Saturday, and repairing the problem and having back on the road in time for work on Monday. Thanks David

Reply to
DMSO

I understand that Tom but if the line going to the regulator is damaged, then the pressure will ALWAYS be lower. Do you really think that a few inches of fuel when the split is still under will boost the pressure any significant amount? Now if you take your slit straw example and put it into a glass of water and use it to drink from, you will have no problem with it until the level of water falls below the split and then while you still may get some water, you will be getting a lot of air as well.

Reply to
TBone

The fuel pump assembly can be obtained from most good parts stores. The parts to repair an existing one are not so easy to get, even from the dealer. Before dropping the tank, you might want to get the pressure checked to see where you are.

Reply to
TBone

David,

I responded in detail in your other thread - I think it's much easier to get at your fuel pump by sliding the bed back.

Martin

Reply to
Martin

Reply to