Fuel pump's?

i fixed my fuel guage today, there is a elec pump in the tank, & the lift pump on the engine?

Reply to
krenelka

No pump in the tank... fuel is pulled from the tank by the lift pump (electrically driven) on the rear driver's side of the engine, then fed to the high-pressure injection pump (gear-driven by the engine - looks like a miniature inline-6 engine with 6 fuel lines coming out of it), which feeds the injectors.

And Cummins has two m's :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

that is what I feared, someone placed a gas rig pump in the tank, I don't know why, but it is the same pump that is in my Dakota, with the same flaws. the screws had popped out of the slides, and it has a undersize filter on bottom, with a 12 volt pump in the center. I fixed the screws, and locked it in positioned so it will just touch bottom of empty tank, and I put a press nut on the new sending unit to keep the pivot point from getting slack. I don't think this was original equipment. but the truck runs good so I decided to leave it alone.

Reply to
krenelka

Wow. Well, if it makes you feel any better, the '05 and up Rams with Cummins went back to an in-tank pump, and any '94 and up trucks that go into the shop for lift pump replacement get retro-fitted with the in-tank pump. It's not that it's a bad idea, but if it's really a gasoline fuel pump in the tank, it's going to put out about 45psi of pressure, which the diesel lift pump was never designed to take.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

is there a way to tell the retrofit pump from a gas pump?

Reply to
krenelka

Easiest way would be to hook a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel supply line to the lift pump. I doubt this was done as an "authorized" repair, because

1) the in-tank pump has only been in use for less than a year, and 2) they would have removed the engine-mounted lift pump at the time of conversion.
Reply to
Tom Lawrence

"Tom Lawrence"

On a '95 model? I think it's camshaft driven.

Reply to
BigIronRam

You're right - I stand corrected. The 12V's transfer pump is driven off a lobe on the camshaft. It wasn't until the 24V engine that they went to an electrical lift pump.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence