Hitch wt. and towing capacities

I have a 2006 dodge 2500 diesel (quad cab, short bed, 4x4, 373 gears, auto trans), I am looking to purchase a 5th wheel having a hitch wt. of 2,120 LBS and GVWR of 11,400 lbs. Not knowing hitch wt or towing capacities very well, the question is; do I have enough truck or am I approaching the limit, if I do have enough truck, do I need to do anything to it?

Thanks

Reply to
robert

You have enough truck engine, tranny, axle and frame wise. You might need to ad a leaf to rear if it does not ride right with load (too soft) and maybe upgrade tires if they are not already 265R16 "E" range tires.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Well, 17" wheels on the '03s and up, but otherwise - yes. I might go with an airbag install vs. adding an extra leaf, though... keeps the no-load ride quality the same as stock (won't call it smooth, but no need to help the fillings fall out quicker, either)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I have heard a short bead can prove troublesome with a 5er. They make a sliding hitch, that as you turn, it moves the trailer away from the truck to prevent damage.

Reply to
Bill

AIr bags can work but a extra leaf does two things. One is increase load capacity and the second (which a air bag does not do) it help limit torque wrap up of springs from high wheel torque loads. Strange about tires though because I remember test driving some 05 CTD with a friend when he was considering buy one. It had 265R16 E's on it because I remember looking at them.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

nope the 05 comes with 17" wheels like what Tom said. if you dont believe me, well tough. i own a 05 and i KNOW what's on my truck.

Reply to
chris thompson

It was a dualie so that may explain it

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Ya know Sno, though it may not seem like an important fact or bit of info to you, maybe, just maybe, if you started telling the complete story in your posts, instead of the half assed ones like you tend to, it would prevent issues just like this. Food for thought...

Reply to
azwiley1

Nope, they have 17's as well. 16" wheels won't clear the brakes (bigger brakes since '03). Heck, some aftermarket 17" wheels won't clear 'em, either.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Maybe the one he was test riding with his friend was a 1905 model?

Reply to
azwiley1

you have enough truck for this fiver. yu may want an extra leaf on the rear, but try it first. You will meed a slider hitch of course.

enjoy

Reply to
Wayne J.

With the 5er at 11400, what is the weight of the truck ... then the combined weight?

Will it be legal??

Fred

Reply to
Fred

Nothing have a$$'ed about it. GM trucks used the same rim diameter on SRW and DRW then so one would "assume" the Dodge would have done likewise that year. I drive a few 08 CTD last week and they had 17's. I was also surprized at the amount of boost on new 6.7 engine. Both trucks showed aprroximately 23 PSI of boost. I plan to check GM and Ford models to see how they compare.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

uh 23 thats it? and when did dodge start putting a boost gauge on?

btw srw and drw do have the same rim diamater 17" or did you miss that?

i suggest you look at the dodge site and view what wheel options there are.

Reply to
chris thompson

You do not need one if you have the right technology to monitor/record engine data via OBD2 port which all vehicles have had since 97 (some a year sooner) BTW, it reports the Absolute Manifold Pressure (atmosheric plus boost) which the ECM use for fuel mixture control, in that regard its "AMP" is a little over 37 PSI.

I did not miss a thin, I was talking about what I say mof a 05 model dulie, not a 08 one

Honestly I place little value in "wheel options" on any brands web site. I look at trucks as they sit on lots ans as they are equipped in various trim/option levels. Myself, I have never had any interest at all in fancy rim options on my trucks, a plain steel wheels is fine for me.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

So, you are saying that a dealer not only let you test drive a new truck, but let you hook up an OBD2 scanner to it while you were driving it? Highly unlikely!

Well, maybe besides learning how to slow down a bit when you type, so you are missing letters (unless the cryptic typing is purposeful) you should learn how to pay more attention to things when you are "test driving them"

Reply to
azwiley1

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 08:26:58 -0700, azwiley1 wrote:

Right since you say so huh? You can believe what you want because you are the troll here I cannot remember the last time they came with me on a test drive.( one advantage I guess of not looking like a or being troll) Been scanning them for a couple of years now when new models come out. IT is REALLY easy to do if you know what you are doing. I have two methods I use, one a a complete small module to plugs in a record up to 5 data channels of my selection (easily fits in your shirt pocket and I started using this method about 6 months ago) and a second method the ready data channel of choice live is data or graphic form. (this one will fit in a coat pocket and has a PC interface on it as well and I have been using it for a few years now) You would know how to do this easily too if you were not just some troll looking to cause trouble. BTW, I also do sound level readings in db's in cab and outside when the sprit moves me. (I have two different meters too one that fits in pocket and one a bit bigger but is not a "cheapy" either as it is very accurate, calibratable and programable. Been a bit under the weather here but I plan to shake down and scan the new 6.4 Ford PS soon and then a Dmax and see how they compare. BTW, I drove and scanned a new 08 GM 2500HD with new 6 speed 6L80 and 353 HP 6.0. That truck was a BIG disapointment! (and I am/was a GM man mostly) Tranny calibration and operation and axle ratio combo was badily matched. I would not own one if you gave it to me if they are all like that (I would sell it) Truck felt under powered most of the time because effective overall gearing in 5th and 6th was too tall for axle ratio and engine. 6th was really bad and a bit of a joke. (a bad one at that). You have to drive it a bit to realize what a cluster fart the engine/tranny/axle ratio combo is. Sad part is GM used to make some very fine automatic trannies

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I seriously doubt you hooked a scanner up while you drove it, but ok i'll spot you that one in spite of my doubts.

How about you missing the fact that they are both DR trucks and wheels on the trucks have no changed. the 05 came with 17" wheels in both configurations (DRW AND SRW).

and i have little faith in your information about the subject so lets just agree to disagree about the accuracy of your information.

Reply to
chris thompson

punkin:

I am sure if you were more adapt at understood what was being asked for, punkin.

Reply to
Beryl

Still nothing but a troll.

Reply to