Weight capacity Dodge Ram 2500

We have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 24 valve TD, quad cab long bed.

We bought a camper recently and weighed the unit today. It weighs 10,280 lbs with camper empty, two persons. Both axles are within the specified GAWR.

Camper tag says 3,000 lbs and I figured around 6,800 for the truck, so that is not much more than I expected.

However list GVWR is 8,800 lbs.

Truck handles just fine and feels just fine with this load on it. I really don't notice any handling difference with load on or off. I do notice a slight performance (hill climbing at high elevation) difference.

Camper sets rear of truck down 3.75 inches and sets the front of the bed down 1.625 inches. I have air bags with 15 psi. They can take up to 100 psi.

Truck has camper helper spring and sway bar package on it from factory. I have 10 ply load range E snow tires with studs. Right now they are 70 lbs but I can put them up to 80.

Air bags say they do not increase load capacity. Not sure if camper helper springs and sway bar do or not.

It does not seem as campers much lighter than this can be bought and dealer said it was just fine for this truck but I needed air bags.

Suggestions, advice? Thanks in advance,

Charles

Reply to
Charles

I've had 14,000 gross on my tires and axles (2000MY 2500 series), and I'm good on those to 12,000. Your 10,000 should be ok with the truck. No sure how the registration authority will feel.

Reply to
Max Dodge

You are really up is dualie teritory. I do not belive for one minute that it does not handle on bit different with campers weight and high CG on of off, I know better. If your tires are 265-16E they are good for about 7000lbs for the pair at 80 PSI. While I do not strictly follow GVW rating myself (I watch GAWR more) you are seriously overloaded with your current setup. While your GAWR are okay sitting on a scale they can be easily exceeded when climbing hills or braking (front axle) by a wide margin and give you high CG, the strain can go higher. Not many optioos here. Either sell the truck and get a dualie or beef up the rear springs with a couple of leafs on each side and find a wheel and tire combo good for about 4000 lbs each or convert it to a dualie (same axle basically) Left as it is you are headed for trouble and the smartest thing to do is to get a bigger truck or a lighter camper because you are well past your capacity before you load it and you have a high CG too. If you have a wreck they will have a feild day with you if it is your fault. Sorry to nbe a downer as I am usually tolerant of over GVW loads but in this case your are exceeding it too much. To weight 10.200 with a low profile is one thing but with a high CG, it is a lot worse yet. You are definately in need of a 3500 daulie here.

Reply to
TheSnoMan

what is the GCVWR? meaning truck/trailer combination. GVWR is the truck. now i suspect that 10K GCVW is within spec especially since you mentioned that your GAWR's are within.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

im sorry read the message again. is this a slide in?

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

It is a slide in.

Else we would be well within limits.

Charles

Christ> im sorry read the message again. is this a slide in?

Reply to
Charles