Questions with installed Jake brake

I am considering having a Jake brake installed on a new 2006 or 2007 Mega cab with the auto tranny. Is there an on/off control switch in the cab to activate the brake when towing and deactivate with around-town driving or once installed is the Jake continuously active? Are there any disadvantages or potential problems with Jake brake use (besides added noise)? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Reply to
Jeff D.

There's an activation switch - should be in the center dash panel.

Not really... remember that this is an exhaust brake made by Jacobs - not what's commonly referred to as a "Jake brake", which is an engine brake. You can hear the difference when it's on vs. when it's off, but it's not very loud at all. I see no disadvantage to leaving it enabled all the time - in fact, with it cycling more often, it may prevent the butterfly from getting crudded up with soot and sticking when it's really needed. And since the activation of the brake is tightly controlled by the computer to only activate when the torque converter is locked, it's operation around town would be very limited, due to your speed and lack of TC lockup.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I have a 99 quad cab 4X4 with 6 speed standard. I would not pull my fifth wheel trailer without the brake. It is very satisfying to arrive at the bottom of a hill and not have had to use the truck or trailer brakes, but know they are ready when required...........still cool. Not sure how the warrantee is looked upon if you install the engine brake in an automatic. There is some noise heard in the cab, but that is minimal. The switch is easily reached on the dash and can be turned on and the brake reacts within a second. The brake comes with a manual that suggests using the brake to speed up the warming of the truck at a cold start in the winter. There is a warning not to use the brake on slippery roads as there is a slight risk of locking up the rear wheels however, I have used it coming down a hill after skiing and when you know how the brake works, I think it is just as safe as operating the truck brakes. It would depend on the conditions if I would use leave the Jacobs brake on during an "in town" trip. I had the brake installed shortly after buying the truck new. We do however have a few hills here in BC. As I said, I would install a brake on my next truck too.

"Jeff D." wrote in message news:JdidneKgm8_oWyjZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...

Reply to
Brian

As of '06, it's warrantied.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

i thought it was 05 but i may be mistaken. doesnt matter on my truck anyways, its both a standard and i have no intention of dealer service (short of catastrophic failures).

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

A exhaust brake is a very good idea to install especially if you plan on towing a heavy load around. The exhaust brake will save alot of pad on the brakes. As for the noise, its not bad. There is an switch to contol the brake. All in all the exhaust brake is a good investment, which will save you money on down the road.

Brian

Reply to
brian