Re: Crate Engine

Hi, I've just gotten interested in the build it myself deal. Who

> turns out the best quality Crate Engines? Cr >

Mopar, Jegs, Summit, Edelbrock........and several others are very good. Stay with companies you know and get a good price.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Medlin

dont know if i'd say they are the best, but Jasper is very economical and offers a 3 year 75,000 mile warr so its hard to beat that kind of deal.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

I would shy away from "in-town" companies as well.. got a slant six about 12 years ago from a "reputable" rebuilder in town.. Got 20,000 miles out of it before it threw #4 rod out the driver's side.

I rebuilt my celica's motor myself and it's still running very well after 48,000 miles.

Reply to
Nza

I have a friend who uses Jasper engines in his work trucks, and is very happy with them. He used another one, can't remember the name, and they were very hot and cold, some went forever, and some went about 50-100K and died. Usually, he gets about 150-200K on the factory motor, and then about the same on the Jasper rebuild. By that time, the trucks are a basket case and it's time for them to go. Half the time, he just gives it to an employee or one of their kids as a "beater", and if it lasts a while, great, if not, whoopie.

One guy got one, drove it for 4 years, put a interior out of a wrecked truck in it, and another Jasper motor and a rebuilt tranny, drove it another 5 years and at the end, it was so rotted out, that a minor fender bender tore most of the cab off the mounts. The motor and trans was pulled, and went into his kid's truck, another beater from the boss. It's still running, but it's got plywood cab floors at this point.

These are all GM trucks. He gave up on Fords a long time ago. He can't get over the memories of his late 70s and early 80's Dodge disasters, but I think he might try a Cummins if the gas stays high when it's time to replace the two really big trucks he has.

BDK

Reply to
BDK

it should be noted that i never said anything negative about the quality of Jasper, just that i didnt know if i could call them "the best". they are very good engines i have put a lot of them in over the years (thankfully not in the last 4 as i have been out of the dealership that long) and had absolutely no problems out of them.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Yes they are. I missed them in my comment. The point I was trying to make is that most all of the major names are pretty good quality and price could be the major issue with the good names.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Medlin