Time for a new Heater Core - how much?

It figures, doesn't it? ABout the time I get the P0307 misfire problem under control something else crops up.

Guessing, I'd say I have a bad heater core.

Symptoms: strong odor of antifreeze fumes inside the cab when the T-stat opens up. Also windows fog up on the inside and the defroster only makes it worse.

How big a job is this to tackle yourself? What's involved?

About what's the going rate to have this repair (replaced) at a dealer or independent shop?

Recommendations & ideas welcome. Thanks!!

Reply to
RamMan

Not sure how much difference there is between a Ram and Dakota core replacement, but mine just cost me 800 dollars for my dak. Dealer did the work. If you take it to the dealer, BEWARE!

When I got it home I smelled antifreeze outside of the truck, I figured that the "tech" spilled some while filling it back up. The entire engine compartment was covered in antifreeze, both fenders had a nice coating of it also. Don't dealerships own a friggin hose?!

The front section of the center console was loose not secured back down. The rear section was loose. Upon further checking, the metal clips for the front section were missing and rather than remove the mounting screws, it looked like he just pulled up on it and broke the plastic out around the screws. Out of six screws that hold down the rear portion, one was missing, two were stripped out and loose, the final two were barely hand tight. I found the clips on the floor and replaced them. Fixed everthing else. I'm going to go over tomorrow evening and bitch about it to the service guy. Not sure if it will do any good though.

Wayne - 2000 Dak QC 4x4.

Reply to
CigarSki

You should not have fixed it first and don't just yell at the guy or he will do nothing for you.

Reply to
TBone

I agree. If there's a problem with any job ever, take it back and show the dealer why you're unhappy. But fix it yourself first then bitch and you come off as a crank customer and it's only your word against theirs.

With A/C the $800 for R&R of the heater core seems to be about the going rate; there's a ton of labor time involved due to having to R&R almost the entire dash. The core itself is around $200, then there's a charge for replacing the refrigerant. Even with the right tools and know-how I'm finding out it's easily a 5½ to 6 hr job.

By butchering the dash they can save about an hour and a half but still bill you for the std. flat rate charge. That way the dealership makes more and so does the line tech because the sooner they get yours done the sooner they can go to work on gouging someone else.

Over the years I have managed to acquire an immense distaste for dealerships for this very reason. Once out of warranty it has to be something very specialized and uniquely compelling for me to ever go back to the dealer. Chryco, Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Fiat, etc., yes, even Lexus; they're all the same. Once it's out of warranty you're like a tender young lamb going to visit the big bad wolf. The damn service writers are all on the take. The more unnecessary services they can sell you to embellish the job, the greater their commission.

Sad to say but there's also no shortage of shoddy workmanship, even at dealerships. At currently prevailing labor rates it's inexcusable. As long as you tolerate it they will not change.

Reply to
RamMan

Point taken on the yelling thing :)

Why did I fix it myself? Need the truck, it's getting just a little chilly to ride the cycle in to work. I can do the job better than their so call "techs". Go to school 3 nights a week (to make me more skilled and valuable in my trade), my time is valuable to me. I figure that they screwed it up the first time around and they'll only end up making it worse.

It's truly a shame that so many take so little pride in their work these days.

Reply to
CigarSki