towing capacity Ram2500

I'm somewhat confused about towing capacity and the license tags on light trucks. If you are towing your own rig and not for hire, can you use the standard

12000 gvw plates, but tow more weight? It seems like some of the RV type trailers would be too large for the standard license plates.

thanks bill

Reply to
rider89

Bill:

Not sure about all states, but here in MO the tow vehicle must be licensed for the weight of the tow vehicle plu the towed vehicle. Thus, I have my Ram 2500 licensed for 18,000 lbs to cover the weight of the truck and travel trailer. I have also "heard" that this requirement is also very "loosely" enforced which accounts for the many folks you see who don't have the required plates for their combo.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Not legally. If your stopped the fine will be for driving out of registration class, and you will probably have to get a new registration with the higher amount or pay to have the trailer towed away. Another thing to keep in mind is the GVW of the tow vehicle. If your trailer is above that as well as the registration you will get at least two tickets.

Talk to some of the folks who have been towing into Florida. They have been finally taking the laws seriously in regard to registration and towing capacity. They have also been impounding vehicles if your vehicle is rated for more than your drivers license class is legal for. They give the vehicle back when you or someone you designate shows up with the proper class license to drive it. Many states look the other way EXCEPT in the case of an accident.

Personally I don't like the way that folks can just walk in and buy one of the huge motor coaches and drive away with it when the largest vehicle they have driven was a Geo Metro. Or the ones who just picked up something like a 3500 dually and the new 40 foot trailer without ever towing anything before.

Reply to
Steve W.

I agree with you on the newbie folks pulling large RV rigs. I've seen some scary stuff.

In most states, would someone pulling an RV (or a non commercial pickup pulling an equipment trailer) be required to go through weigh stations?

bill

Reply to
rider89

I got caught in Missouri towing a car with a pickup and 6,000 pound plates. The fine was $1.00 a pound, and I was 3,100 pounds over. After pleading ignorance and buying a 12,000 pound plate the judge let me go. The fact that the car has its own legal license made no difference.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

No

Reply to
Advocate

I never have though it some states that want you to but they have bigger fish to fry than you and are after the big OTR and commercail rigs, not RV's

Reply to
TheSnoMan

Depends on the state. Most don't bother with RVs unless they have obvious problems. All commercial vehicles are supposed to go over them (including P/Us) but I have seen them ignore P/Us more than once. In my OTR driving I have seen some VERY scary things as well.

Reply to
Steve W.

ouch! that could have been really bad. did you get stopped for something else or did they pull you over just to see what kind of plates you had?

I'm in MO and I have 12k plates, but the rig I was thinking about pulling would put me over. I only need to move the thing a few times a year, so I think I'll hire it out.

Bill

Reply to
rider89