'78 124

Hi, folks. i have a 1978 124 and for some reason the engine has decided to race. at initial start up the RPM's are low, but as you drive, at idle at a light, it's up to 2500 and i can't figure out why. can anyone at least point me in the right direction, or tell me something to look at i might have missed. i've checked the linkage on the carb and all that seems fine. thanks

Reply to
HotH2O4U2

Possible:

1-Throttle linkage sticking after engine warms up? 2-Choke staying on? 3-Carb fast idle problem, if so equipped?

Number 1 is most likely.

HotH2O4U2 wrote:

Reply to
Mike

thanks, something to do this weekemd

Reply to
HotH2O4U2

This model has the dual-point ignition. Be sure that they are BOTH set correctly and that the sensor to switch them after warm-up is hooked up and functioning correctly. I seem to recall that Mirafiori.com has a good FAQ on this system, or check the Haynes manual for the procedure. It's also worth checking to make sure a prior owner hasn't "fixed" a clogged idle jet by cranking down on the throttle stop. My stock '78 idles great hot or cold, so it's shouldn't be a design issue, although there is an awful lot of emissions plumbing on that car, so there could be a cracked or misconnected hose or stuck valve somewhere.

Al

Reply to
Al McWhorter