34 pict-3 to Bocar 30/31

Hi, Finally changed from my banged up original 34 pict-3 carburator to the brazilian equivalent, a Bocar 30/31. Now all is fine, the car died at
idle before, probably lots of air was entering lots of places and my problem is fixed, finally!
I have noticed a power loss do. I have been reading about this carb, and it seems to do better millage. good, becouse my gas budget aint that hi, and I like to drive the car daily. does this carb trades power for millage? If it does is a good thing for me, but if it just has less power and no benefitsI would like to know.
Thanks,
MM '70 1300 bug
--
I'm trying a new usenet client for Mac, Nemo OS X.
You can download it at http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

I don't know much about carbs. What exactly do the 34 and 30/31 refer to? Some kind of volume size that limits the power perhaps?
--
Michael Cecil
http://macecil.googlepages.com/index.htm

Europe got tons of 1300 dual ports with the smaller carb. 1600's were a rare luxury, only found in Supers and not even all of them :)
Jan
Karl wrote:

to?
I believe Macsoft's mail ends in .pt so does that mean he is in Portugal?
That would explain the '70 1300 bug.....
wrote:

to?
Yap, I'm from Portugal. its a DP and the Bocar came with and adaptor for it bolted on. that way SPs can unbolt the adaptor and use it too.
But my question remains: does the 30/31 gives me better millage? or did Ijust lost power with no benefits?
Thanks! :)

--
I'm trying a new usenet client for Mac, Nemo OS X.
You can download it at http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo
The 30/31 carb has a 30mm throttle body, the 34 had 34 mm body. So the 34PICT can breathe more air. Assuming both carbs were well tuned, and ignition timing identical in both cases, the 34PICT would give a bit stronger wide open throttle performance than the 30PICT (or equivalent), at mid to higher revs. In this case, more performance means more fuel consumption, if you use the extra power. For example, if previously you could travel to 125km/h and now to 115km/h, you have less fuel consumption now. But for the same speed, or same acceleration, you will have the same fuel consumption, since the engine is the same.
You should not feel a big difference anyway. Maybe the mixture on the 30/31 carb is a bit lean. This is not a very good thing, as lean mixture can burn the exhaust valves. Check the main fuel jet size. The main jet is the one accesible when you remove the hex nut in the left side of the carb. The jet is located inside the fuel bowl. Find the number stamped on it. Look also at the main jet of the old carb. If the new one has a smaller jet size (e.g 120, 117, 115, 112) and the old one a larger size (probably 125 or 127 or 130), then try the old one and see if it drives any better. If you don't notice much of an improvement, then use the original jet, as the larger jet will consume more fuel without any benefit.
Bill Spiliotopoulos. '67 bug.