After service car feels weaker

Hi,

After having my X19 serviced, I have noticed that it feels more sluggish in response to the throttle. I could be imagining this, but, I also feel at times now the speed has dropped slightly in relation to where the revs are - ie. 5000 revs in 2nd gear takes me to 40mph say, compared to 45mph pre-service. It's an 1985 1500cc model.

Anyone had any similar experiences?

Reply to
Ric

I would guess they altered the timing, or messed around with the fuel/air mixture to get it to comply with MOT emissions regulations.

Yep, you *are* imagining it, unless the service involved changing the gear ratios. ; ) Get the timing (I'm guessing it's the timing) set up properly and your car will feel normal again.

As a side point, are you a member of the UK x1/9 Owners-club?

are an amazingly dedicated bunch of people who are devoted to theX1/9 cause. And what's more, they are nice people too! I joined acouple of months ago and would definitely recommend it, especially ifyou have technical questions about your X1/9 (between them all theyhave an encyclopaedic knowledge of all things X1/9). On my firstclub-meet my X1/9 broke (in a fairly major way) and a group of themfixed it on the spot! I am in their debt.

Regards, Morgan

Reply to
xonenine

Hi Morgan,

Thanks for your input :) I think the carburettor mixture is a bit out of tune from what I gather...

I have been looking into joining the club as it does seem handy (regarding parts, knowledge etc). I liked the story you tell of them fixing your X19 on the spot :)

Ric

Reply to
Ric

They probably adjusted the CO emission. When my car needs to be tested I adjust the idle mixture screw so it runs a little leaner. Good for less CO, bad for power. After the test I set it richer again and back is the power.

Fred PS revs to speed ratio cannot be changed, except by a slipping clutch or wheels.

Reply to
F.J.Driegen