Punto Heater Fan Squeak.

Hi There,

Ever since I have had my 99 V Punto it has had an intermittent squeak coming from the heater fan under the glove compartment. It is most noticeable on fan speed 1 & 2. When it is on 3 & 4 you can't hear it at all. Giving the motor unit a delicate (!) whack usually makes it sto squeaking for a minute or two but it soon comes back. A long journey with the fan squeaking like this drives me nuts!

What is most annoying is that it behaves perfectly every time the car is in for a service!

Anyone had a similar problem? Or, is the motor fairly easy to remove to have a look at and / or oil?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Reply to
David Gouge

My 1992 Tempra has a squeaky fan as well. A couple of times it has not started, causing the thermal overload to trip. I guess they get stiff with age. I've removed it and oiled up the fan motor which helps for a while.

Reply to
Mark W

Had several Fiat fans out for oiling, the heat radiation from the heater matrix during the cooler months causes the oil to gum and oxidise, three to five years between lubrication is typical. Don't use 3 in 1, use a fully synthetic engine oil. Most of these are thinner than the 20W50 minerals and seem to work fine for fan shaft lubrication, I've tried thinner, lower viscosity synthetics but they seem to migrate away from the bearing. It's usually a pain in the butt to get the fan assy out, in the Uno, removing one or both front seats helps, then you can lie in the footwell. In passing for most Fiats the front seat covers can be removed, and are symmetrical, so can be washed, swapped left with right, some more foam added under the drivers bum, (it gets compressed) and re-assembled. Get the ball and chain to put the covers through a cool wash while you are skinning your knuckles buggering about with the fan. Draining the cooling system may be advisable, then you can get the heater matrix out the way, and give it a good clean/flush out. Works wonders for heater efficiency.

Reply to
Ato_zee

Cheers, I might just take it apart and have a look. Can't hurt to oil it up a bit!

Dave

Reply to
David Gouge

Reply to
Igor

AFAIR I drained, undid the heater matrix hoses (have something to hand to catch the rest of the water, the heater matrix will still be fairly full) with the heater tap/valve with set in the open position, then the whole thing comes out as a lump, two bolts down the bottom and two self tappers into Spire nuts under the dash. Assembly dismantles by removing self tappers. Motor can be dismantled if it is the type with an inaccessable back bearing (there are several versions) to oil the back bearing but be cautious, the motor carbon brushes can cause problems for the inexperienced DIY'er if you are not experienced with small DC motors.

Reply to
Ato_zee