brake failue

The brakes on my fiat uno 1.7 diesel(N reg/1996) failed today. On checking inside the bonnet, i found oil leaking from a piece of machinary bolted to the right hand side of the engine. A pipe comes from this to the brake servo. Someone told me that this was what had proberly failed. Anyone know what its called so i can try and get one from the numerous internet breaker servies. The brake pedal is now very hard and it takes considerable pressure on it to stop the car. Thanks

Reply to
chipmunk

your piece of machinery is likely to be a vacuum pump: on a petrol engined car there is sufficient vacuum in the inlet manifold for the brake servo, but there is no vacuum to speak of with a diesel - so you have a pump instead.

If I was you, I'd check the interconnecting pipe, and also see if there is a vacuum at the servo end of it when the engine is running, as you have a choice of a failure of the pipe, the pump, or the servo to give hard pedal symptoms.

Reply to
john harrad

Try to determine whether the oil is engine oil or brake fluid. Brake fluid tends to strip paint and engine oil picks up a lot of dirt. As it's bolted to the engine it is probably engine oil. A faulty seal on the master cylinder tends to leak brake fluid, from the servo, and also down the brake pedal. Since engine oil leaks are quite common you really need to check whether you are pulling a vacuum, or it's just a leaking air pipe letting in air, or a failed servo.

Reply to
ato_zee

Dont screw around with brakes. You could die if you get it wrong. Take it to a proper repair shop

Reply to
Tony Morris