Fiat punto emissions - MOT Failure!

Hi

I have a 2000 1.2 8v Fiat punto with 54k on the clock.

The car has just failed its m.o.t because of the fast idle co amount.

This should be under 30, mine is currently 51!

Does anybody have any ideas??

I thougt possible coil pack/lambda sensor needs replacing.

This only happening in the specified rev range of 2000-3000 anything above this is under 30 co.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Gigglybot

is this a mk2 punto or a mk1 punto 60? if its a mk2 most testers dont do the fast idle test because the engine will not hold well in the required range, this is because the engine is not under load. if its a mk1, bang a lambda sensor on there. a coil wont make any difference in co. btw where did you get a reading of 50 co from, 50 what? every machine ive ever used measures co as a percent. like 0.5%

Reply to
undergraduate-car-mechanic

Hi

Thanks for reply.

This is a mk2 punto.

The co figure is for the fast idle test the figure was 0.51%.

This is the only area the car failed, as you know the fast idle speed is between 2500-3000Rpm anything above this and the co% drops dramatically.

I heard that sometimes mk2 punto's have to have emmisions tested on a slope not sure what difference this makes though.

Reply to
Gigglybot

I have just phoned the mot station that failed my car and suggested that the fast idle emissions test is not usually carried out on mk2 puntos the response was that it makes up the mot test and therefore must be conducted for the mot to be legitimate.

Im not sure of my legal standing here can anyone help??

Reply to
Gigglybot

this is the fault i thought it would be, you could show them that i guess and demand they ring vosa and ask about it and try again. or it might genuinly be a old lambda sensor sensor that brought up the co, does it hold 2500 rpm smoothly in neutral?

Reply to
undergraduate-car-mechanic

Yes it holds 2500Rpm smoothly in neutral.

My only other concern is that the car is missing and i fear that this may be contributing to the problem, so i am going to replace the plugs and leads to see if this helps any.

Reply to
Gigglybot