Tipo PTC relay ,,Where is the stat

I just discovered that what I thought was a rattle next to the fuse and relay cluster is in fact the PTC relay clicking on and off, lookes like from the elec' drawing that it is switched by a fuel heat stat but where is this stat to save me trawling all over the intake etc, and what does PTC stand for. Thanks

Reply to
mike

The PTC heater is located under the inlet manifold. As it heats up, the electrical resistance increases until it stops conducting. I don't think it turns the relay off, that is turned on by the ignition and stays on although no current passes through once the PTC unit is hot.

I had a problem on my car with the dashboard fuse blowing intermittently together with the PTC fuse, so I have disabled mine by removing the PTC fuse, and there are no ill effects.

Reply to
Mark W

If you man PTC as in temperature mesaurement it stands for Positive temperatre coifficent.

And that means that it's a pobe with a temperature sensitive resistor element wich changes its resistance =(higher resistance with higher temperature )

In the heater case it's logical.. Cold = low resistance = high current flowing thru resistor = enough to contol someting (relay ?) Warm engine = high resistance = low current thru resistor probe = blocks somethng

Could be a loose wire to hr probe, just check that circuit ith a simple ohm meter WITH THE ENGINE ON = rattles a bt will cause the symptom sometimes !

Good luck ! (hope this was on the right track !)

"Mark W" skrev i meddelandet news:3f676d43 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...

Reply to
kemp.hakan

Correction "kemp.hakan" skrev i meddelandet news:eI3ab.1390$ snipped-for-privacy@nntpserver.swip.net...

Reply to
kemp.hakan

thanks folks got time to check it out today, found broken wire, the clicking was it trying to energise the relay which it hadn't been doing in the past, when ithe wire touched it swiched relay on and the heater, looks like it had not been working for a while because now the heater is working it goes better >>>>>>

Reply to
mike