67 Camaro A/C compressor question

I have about a day or two of work left before I start up my car and I have an A/C compressor question. The last time I drove this car was in 1990. It's been parked since then. I assumed that all the freon (R12) had leaked out but when I checked, it was still pressurized.

My question is, would it be safe to put a belt on the A/C compressor and see if it works when I'm ready to start the car? The compressor and the pulley turn freely and independently (by hand). The compressor "old style" GM, about 1 foot long.

Since the car has been sitting for 14 years, is there any maintenance that the A/C system requires before trying it out? I expect that I'll have to add freon, I just don't want to damage the system if I can help it.

Any comments?

Reply to
David R. McCoy

Old Frigidare compressor...best ones out there..shame they quit using them.. Put a belt on it and go...but...see below.

I suspect you will have to do more than that. If not right away, soon. The front seal in the compressor needs to be replaced, along with the dryer. Have the system recovered, and replace the seal, and the dryer. Once that is done, add a couple of ounces of compressor oil, and have it recharged with either R12 or R416a...not 134a. Make sure that you pull a good complete vac on it, and DO NOT under or overcharge the system. There should be a decal IIRC over on the blower that states the total system charge....2lbs something...remember, a pound of refrigerant is 16oz...so if its a 2lb system, two cans of R12 wont cut it.

Reply to
CBhvac