2000 Honda Accord a/c compressor locked up

My 2000 Honda Accord a/c compressor locked up, the belt started to burn. The car has 82,000 miles on it. I was able to drive it to Honda dealer were I do all my repairs. They told me I need a new a/c compressor, belts and it will cost $1,880.00 I was shocked at the cost. Are they charging me too much? They told me I could not even drive the car because the a/c belt that was burning is on a pulley system and if I try to drive the car the belt would continue to burn. My 2000 Honda Accord is a V6 4 door model. Have their been problems with the a/c compressors in Hondas, any "unoffical" warranties that anyone knows of? This car has been nothing but problems, this is the model that the transmission went on.

Reply to
be nice

It would be about $1200 at my shop.

Mostly Civics and CRVs what I have seen. Most modern AC compressors are prone to seizure if allowed to operate with low refrigerant. They rely on the refrigerant to carry lubrication as few, if any, have an oil sump anymore.

But they extended transmission coverage to 100k miles.

Go above the dealership and ask for help with the compressor -- its likely you will get it.

Don

Don