97 z28 - Brakes spongy?

I've got a 97 z28. Are all z28 brakes a little spongy or is it just mine? Just replace rear calipers which improved it about 40%. but still not so good. Is it the abs system or what? It's driving me crazy! Have you had any good experiences with aftermarket brakes for the z28??

Reply to
dean

James Drinkwater

I was thinking it might just be bad front calipers?? They don't leak, but maybe just worn out by now? (Never replaced the front calipers, so I don't know.) But, every shop that I take it to says that 'your brakes are fine', and they are NOT fine. So, I can see for a fact that Most mechanics are total pathetic morons, and can't do a proper job on brakes. All mechanics can only install parts, they can't actually use their pea brains to realize that they should COMPARE the brakes to a new car's brakes or at least another car to see what the difference is. I try out a rental car, and the brake pedal is hard, where mine is soft and has a lot of play. Do I need to take it to a dealer to get it done right (however, I think dealer mechanics are LOSERS as well. I had to take my z back 3 times to get a stupid overheating problem fixed at my dealer. That's because they're idiots, plain and simple. You don't see any smart people learn to be mechanics, only dumb morons, which is pretty sad, because theres a big difference between fixing something and adjusting it to work perfectly.) I read something in the haynes manual that a Scan tool is needed to do bleeding, but is that just for traction control? I really doubt there is a mechanic on earth who can do a decent job on brakes for a 97 camaro z28. What a joke. I can't believe it's so difficult to get brakes to work right.

Reply to
dean

First off, I agree with mechanics being idiots, however, it always seems that they try to screw me and I just cannot even believe some of the bullshit they try to passoff. Anyways, the thread says "Brakes Spongy" so I will address that one now. Try and bleed your brake lines(should be little bleeder screws near the calipers) if not, you have the manual, it explains how to do it in there. If that doesn't fix it, check the brake fluid. The problem I had with my old cavalier, well '01, was that the BACK brakes needed to be done, but it was extremely spongy till I did them. It would even kick on the ABS at random times, like if I hit my brakes over a bump, whereas it never did that kind of crap before. So, check the back brakes too. Check for uneven wear on the pads; if one pad is near new condition and the other is down to the metal, either have your rotors resurfaced or buy new ones. After you change any brakes, makes sure to pump the pedal hard and several times before driving anywhere so that it restores the correct pressure in the line so that when you go to brake the first time after changing them, the pedal doesn't just go to the floor. If this all doesn't help, get semi-metallic brake pads, check to make sure that the calipers are well oiled(they sell oil for them and brake cleaner at autozone or o'reily's), and consider dropping around $40 per wheel on some cheap slotted, vented, cross drilled rotors(summitracing.com or ebay). If nothing else, you will stop when you want to, even if it doesn't completely clear up the spongy feeling. Hope this helps.

The Freak

Reply to
FBodyFreak

I have also found that Chevy brakes tend to be a LOT mushier than other makes. I think part of it may have to do with the brake booster design (actually not just Chevy but GM in general)

Reply to
Cy Welch

Yeah, I guess they are spongier, but I tried a chevy rental car not too long ago, and the brakes were perfect, then going back to the z, they are spongy again. I think I'll just give up on it, and save up for an aftermarket system, and that should probably take care of it. But, I've had the brake system bled the last time I put rear calipers on it a few weeks ago, and it helped, but that was just because of the new calipers. Not that the rear ones were leaking badly (the brake fluid never went down, but one rear one was just not in good shape, as It looked like it was a little bit wet. But, I guess it's just a special bleeding process, or its the brake booster, or it's the front calipers. Maybe brake line leaking? I can just replace everything, but if it doesn't make any improvement, then it will be a waste of time. Lots of fun!

Reply to
dean