irc tomorrow 11/7/2003

Anyone interested? I am thinking of starting at 8:30pm Eastern time...

it'll be on Slashnet, and the channel will be #alt.camaro.firebird.

NOI

aka Rock5.

Reply to
thund3rstruck_n0i

Do my best to be there.

...Ron

aka Roof Rat :-)

--

68' RS Camaro 88' Formula Bird

Newly updated

Some are wise and some are otherwise

Reply to
RSCamaro

Damn, the one time that you guys meet, and I can't be around... "sigh" Oh well.

aka KITTvsKARR

Reply to
KITT

RSCamaro Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

Roof Rat?

Remind me to ask tomorrow.

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck

KITT Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

Maybe next time, eh?

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck

I missed it...same old reason...will explain later.. sigh.

Reply to
CBHvac

CBHvac Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

No big deal...maybe next time.

Thanks to RS and a new face, TX for showing.

TX recently got a convertible Bird (68? 69? Forget exactly). I'll let him go over what he has since I won't spoil it for him...

Also, Sorry, FBR, for not being there when you showed. You missed everyone by an hour.

So, one question remains. What day would be better for everyone? Friday? Saturday? And what time? 8:30 Easterm, or would later be better?

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck

Thunder and RS it was a pleasure chatting with you both. I just bought a 68 convertible that should be arriving in the next few days (being shipped from Jersey). Here is a photo provided by the previous owner

Thanks again for the information and hospitality.

Reply to
TX

DAMN! That is one good looking Bird!

Reply to
FBR

TX Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

You're welcome. Thanks for stopping in.

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck

A pleasure to chat with you. Start asking around about a 400 or better yet a 455 to drop under the hood. See if anyone else thinks the price you gave was decent or not.

...Ron

--

68' RS Camaro 88' Formula Bird

Some are wise and some are otherwise

Reply to
RSCamaro

RSCamaro Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

Mmmmm. 455.

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck

Speaking of a 455.... I have been seeing quite a few whole or parts of them on ebay lately, and seeing as though the new 'bird needs and will get a whole new make over over the next couple of years, was wondering what would be involved in possibly replacing the (non-350 GRRRRRR!!) 305 engine with a

455... I would assume the transmission wouldn't be able to handle it.. or would it? Would the stock suspension/alternator/fan/etc be ok, or would I need those replaced as well? This is probably a stupid question.. but I have always wanted a PONTIAC car.. and this would be really the only way to get one. Any ideas/hints/tips/criticisms would be appreciated.
Reply to
KITT

Well, for a third-gen, you're looking at a lot of work. There are some things you can do leading up to the swap, though. Sub-frame connectors are an absolute must. You'd also do well to put in a roll cage. They make 6-pt ones that aren't that intrusive. If you don't want the roll cage, there are other options. The point is that you need to stiffen the chassis...a lot. Also, the

455 is going to be heavier than the sbc that's in there now. So new, higher-rate springs will be needed. Good idea to just get a kit to rebuild the front suspension. New springs, struts, bushings, ball joints, tie-rod ends, etc. While you're at it, pick up a good aftermarket brake kit and install with new hoses. Next, you'll want to replace the stock rear-end with a stronger unit. Shouldn't be too hard to find something already put together with disc brakes and your choice of gears. Replace all the bushings and other rubber while you're back there and the brake hose, of course. You don't have to go low, since you'll have torque to burn. You'll also need to work around the torque arm situation, but I'm sure there's info on that to be found. You'll need to upgrade your cooling system. Not sure what's out there to fit the third-gen, but a good aluminum 4-core radiator, if it will fit, and new fans is a good idea. I'd find a good welding shop and get dimensions for a 3-point strut tower brace. After the swap, the first thing you'll want to do is have one welded up to clear the new engine and install that. If you can find dimensions for one specifically for this swap, then you can have it made before. Buying one, if they're out there to be bought, would probably cost some $s, so having one made is a good idea. You might just want to pal up to a local welding shop and see if you can work out a deal for all your work (sfcs, roll cage, stb, crossmember, settling the engine). See if you can get a discount of some sort for promoting his shop as well if money will be an issue and finding someone that loves cars is a plus. I think that just leaves the swap itself... You might want to see if you can line up a buyer for your engine/tranny in advance, unless you're planning on swapping it into your Camaro. *laughs* And that's actually not a bad idea, since you can use all your take-off parts on that, including the computer and harness, I'd imagine. Anyway, good luck and keep us posted if you go through with it.
Reply to
The Vampire Muffin Man