Lifespan of Suspension Parts

Hello all, happy new years to everyone. So recently, the steering in my

96 TA has been getting worse. It has a decent amount of wheel wander, and I decided to take it into the shop last week. The guy who looked at it told me after half an hour that it needed a new steering gear box, and the cost of the repair would be $350. I said thank you and then took it to my uncle's shop. He looked at it, checked the ball joints, checked the tie rod ends, and then told me it needed nothing more than an alignment. I've had a misaligned car before, and this is a lot different, so what I'm wondering is what is the average lifespan of tie rod ends, suspension bushings, steering boxes, and such. Would it be normal for my gear box to go after 126k? Thanks.

The Freak

Reply to
FBodyFreak

IIRC isn't the 96 rack and pinion? I didn't think those had a steering box, and I thought that the rack alone costs more than 350 quoted. It seems like it would be pretty cheap to get an alignment. Also, make sure your tires are good, I had a set go bad and the handling was terrible until I replaced them on my 89.

Reply to
Cy Welch

Yes, '96's are rack and pinion. RockAuto has complete remanufactured units for $154. I'm with you though. I think it's more likely tires or wheel alignment.

Reply to
Gary - KQ6RT