'84 Camry Front End Vibration

I have one of the first Camrys. Its an '84 with a 4 cyl gas engine and an automatic transmission. I know the front shocks are worn (very little dampening) and I know the front end needs alignment because when I replaced the front tires last month the inner treads were excessively worn but since the new tires were installed the front end vibrates at about 55 mph, more than it used to. Question: assuming the tires are correctly balanced; would faulty alignment cause a vibration; or worn shocks, or transmission problems (overdrive seems to be worse) or tie rods? I only have a few dollars to spend on this and I.m hoping to hit the problem on the first try. Any advice? Thanks...James

Reply to
james

See:

and find a shop that uses the "road force balancing." If they dont' know what that is, keep looking. You say the problem woresened after new tires, so that should solve it. Worn front end components are a separate issue. Obviously, worn bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends and struts can create extra play, but if they're not dangerously worn, and your funds are limited, being the problem worsened with new tires, try this first.

Reply to
Daniel

Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings, but a 22 year old car with likely high mileage is probably going to be the victim of all of the above ills..... Why not try to find a qualified mechanic with vast experience in steering and suspensions and try for a free (or low cost) estimate of the problem(s). Trying to analyze a condition from half a continent away by email without driving the car is a futile exercise. Go to someone who can give you a definitive answer regarding the problems and the costs involved.

good luck!

Reply to
mack

Switch the rear wheels to the front, and front to rear. If front end is not vibrating now, the front wheels may be bent. Tire wear on the inside edge is due to improper toe-out setting which can be caused by lower ball joint wear and /or defective bushings in lower control arm

Reply to
Doctor J

It could be rims or poor balancing or even a defective tire, My new ones were improperly balanced.

Reply to
m Ransley

Right. Steel belts can get dented by potholes and cause vibration. You can swap tires, and balance, etc 'til you're blue in the face with out fixing it. Get on the highway at 71 mph and there it is again.

m Ransley wrote:

Reply to
Stubby

Lift the front end up, the front wheels should be still even if you push and pull on wheels.

Reply to
EdV