Need to remove a Firebird decal

Do you guys know of anything that will take the Firebird decal off without damaging the paint? The paint is ok but the decal on the hood looks pretty bad.

Tnx, Kerry

Reply to
kmiller

Heat Gun, a plastic bondo spreader, and allot of breaks. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

And something new that a couple of people I've talked to is called an eraser. Soposedly you just put the devive in a drill and it rubs the offending decal off without damage to the paint. I use a heat gun myself, but only because I have one on hand.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

Those erasers can and will damage paint. It's rather easy to burn thru the paint. Best methiod is a heat gun. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I've tried the eraser. Try a heat gun. I've tried the stuff that's supposed to dissolve the decal and the glue, and in the end I just sanded the mofo off and repainted the area. (ok, so it was a race car, but for a street car I'd probably do the same thing, I'd just something a little finer than 30 grit.)

I honestly don't think I have the patience to spend 30 hours peeling a Firebird hood decal off an inch at a time. I'd probably use paint remover to strip the whole hood and start over.

Ray

Reply to
ray

Thanks, guys, sounds like a project... I know there used to be some stuff you could spray on and it would melt the adhesive but I've been afraid it would damage the paint. Guess I better stick with the elbow grease method. Hey, it's my kid's car, maybe I'll put HER to work on it!

Tnx, Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Miller

3M makes thge stuff you are thinking of. I think that the name on the can should be decal and adhesive remover. I've used it in the past to remove a vinyl top off of a 75' Camaro. It does a fine job, doesn't hurt the paint but takes time to soak in and soften the adhesive so you have to be patient. The thing about the paint surface under the decal is that it shpuld be like new so painting is almost always needed to make the part the part of the rest of the car.

Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to
RSCamaro

If your going to strip a hood to bare metal, media blasting works much better. Paint Stripper can be a hell of a mess, and on some paints, won't disolve them properly. Had it happen to me before. I ended up going down to 40 grit on a DA and it took forever. That stuff made the paint like burned plastic. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

We used to use the 3M stuff all the time in my dads shop. In the early

90's, many of the Chrysler mini vans had the woodgrain sticker on the entire side of the van. Had to get the stuff off just to do the body work.

We also used it to remove many stickers for customers. Many of them would want us to remove the dealership stickers that had been placed on the rear of their vehicles. I am sure this stuff would work great on your decal.

Charles Bendig wrote:

Reply to
Will VanderToolen

The worst decals to remove are service vehicale decals & vynail graphics. I tend to do this rather often. Since I buy old fleet vehicles at auctions and resell them. The worst are old police, fire, or city vehicles. Where the same decales have been removed and reapplied many times do to body work (usually by the lowest bidder). Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig