odd gas question

What can you get a new unit for?

I see used units for sale in the local trading post, and news paper often.I have never called about one. Over the last winter I was tempted. Especially after Spot blew the pipe off our wood burning stove in the shop. As long is Spot is around, I probably can't have a WOF, for fear he will blow it up. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

message

transmission

From someone in the trade, that makes good money when people do this stuff...dont. They might swear by it....but its wrong, and nothing they say can make it right. Period. The units ARE NOT designed for this. Will they do it? Yes...will it last? No. Will it one day possibly blow up? Assuridly.

Never, ever, EVER buy a used unit. If the units good, why is it going out? You are buying someones problems. Do you know what to look for? Soot and cracked heat exchangers? Can you tell without taking it apart? No..you cant. I have a guy that comes by and picks up all our scrap...today alone the guys got him a full load of old units..AC units, electric furnaces, etc... I spent most of the day making sure all was evacuated, and then, after the decals and such were placed on the units, made sure they will never run again. Same for the furnaces. We destroy them before they go to scrap. There is NO WAY to insure that you wont be the person that finds out the used unit was scrapped due to a potentially fatal problem. It is against the law to install a used unit in someones home or business. There is a reason for that. Besides...for a few extra bux, if you know where to look, you can get a new one for about what you would pay for a used hunk of shit.

Reply to
CBHVAC

Depends on the brand, model, etc. Some as low as a few hundred...

Unless you have a ton of used oil around, I would stick to the wood burner... We are in the process of rebuilding one of my sheds, and its gonna have a wood stove, and a heat pump...

Reply to
CBHVAC

The wood burning stove doesn't heat that well. Even with forced induction (compressed air feed in), it just doesn't heat the shop.

The shop can generate 55 to 100 gallions of waste oil per month. On average atleast 30 gallions.If I have a waste oil furnace, no car would go to the crusher with oil, transmission fluid, or gear oil.

We currently load it in to 55 gallion drums and take it to a place that has a WOF. Since it they will take it for free as long as we don't put any anti-freeze in it. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

FSUguy spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

Can you say 3rd degree burns? One of the old HS gang did this exact thing. Last sound he remembered before the pain was "Woosh". :)

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck_n0i

From what you've told us about him, can't you just use his urine in the heater?

Reply to
GLK9MM

No, while a beer basied life form, he does injest too much water for that to work. Now if he only drank Moon Shine, that might work.

He's bad enough on beer, I would hate to see him on anything stronger. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

When I lived in Arkansas we used to pile up all the dog turds in the yard and burn them with a gas/oil mixture (it's what all the neighbors did). The recommended mix was about 10:1 but one day I was short on oil and heavy on turds so I lit it off anyway. No Woosh but BOOOOOOOOOOM! What saved me was using a stick about 8 feet long to light the pile. It looked like a mushroom cloud spitting flaming dog turds all over the back yard, dead leaves catching on fire, dogs barking, wife yelling at me as I stopped dropped and rolled, what a mess to clean up. A few days later I saw the same thing happen at a neighbors house, same mushroom cloud with flaming projectiles. ;^)

On a more serious note, I was working at a Hazmat incinerator at the time and we got a run of fluids that we weren't sure what was exactly in them but they were covered in the permit so the operators put a couple of gallons of "hydraulic fluid" in one of the furnaces on a Friday evening mixed with metal waste. The furnace overshot the control setpoint by over a 1000 degrees in a few minutes ruining the refractory in the furnace and the afterburner. I think we were lucky the furnace didn't suffer a "severe pressure excursion" but the case may have flexed a bit knocking all the refractory off.

Burning volatiles can be tricky.

Dave(Arkansas was a lot of fun)

Reply to
poncho462