drain the gas tank on `71 Blazer

What is the best way to drain the gas tank on this blazer. It has approx. 1-2 gallons of old gas I need to get out. I see what appears to be a hex threaded plug in one corner. Do I just put put cutting oil on this plug and try to back it out ? This sound like something that I am really going to screw up.

If I put some rubber fuel hose down into the tank, I don't think I can siphon out all the old gas out.

-steve

Reply to
stevem1

How old is the "old gas"? If it's only a year old or so, just put at least 5 gallons of fresh in and it will be fine. Could even and put some octane boost in. Or get a gallon or two of Cam II and put in it. If it smells like shellac, drain it via the drain plug. While the plug is out, dump some fresh gas in to flush it out. If the plug won't come out, get pump and pump out as much as you can threw the fill neck. Then add plenty of fresh. Last/worst resort, pull the tank.

Reply to
twisted

The gas in the tank is years olds, I don't start the blazer much because of this. I really need to get the shellac out of the tank.

So I'm asking what kind of luck will I have using a small hex wrench to remove a 38 year old drain plug. I can see the hex drain plug stripping out immediatetly when I apply any amount of torque. Then I'm on to siphoning, which will never get all the stuff out. There is approx. 1-2 gallons of gas/stuff left in the tank. steve

Reply to
stevem1

The gas in the tank is years olds, I don't start the blazer much because of this. I really need to get the shellac out of the tank.

So I'm asking what kind of luck will I have using a small hex wrench to remove a 38 year old drain plug. I can see the hex drain plug stripping out immediatetly when I apply any amount of torque. Then I'm on to siphoning, which will never get all the stuff out. There is approx. 1-2 gallons of gas/stuff left in the tank. steve

********** You could easily mess up that plug. If you should crack one, it can be the devil to get out.

I think the best way to do it is to take the tank off and send it out to be steam cleaned. Not the easiest maybe...

Reply to
hls

would it be possible to simply drill a small hole in a new location and insert a rubber plug after draining?

Reply to
jb

stevem1 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m38g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

Does the plug extend beyond where it's screwed into at all? If so, and if it gets stripped, you could cut a slice across the center with a hacksaw maybe and turn it into a slot screwdriver head. You would have to be sure that you make only one straight cut into it.

Reply to
APLer

With gas in there that is years old you may have a mess inside the tank. I would pull the tank and remove the sending unit so you can drain it and flush. If it's really bad most good radiator shops can coat the inside and make it good as new.

While you are there replace the rubber fuel lines. With their age and the new gas formulations old hoses don't hold up real well.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.