OT need some help

As a long time reader and occasional poster to this newsgroup, i am impressed with the way you guys report spam damn near every time. I also read other NG that are littered with simular crap...how do I go about getting and reporting the IP's of the offenders?

Reply to
Hitman0187

Hitman0187 spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

Honestly, I am not familiar with AOLs news program, but there is some way to view the message headers. Once you see the headers, look for an ip address. Trace that, and when you get the originating ISP, you forward the whole message, with headers to snipped-for-privacy@thatisp.xxx. In the case of Supernews, you report the spam to them...

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck_N0i

This is the header i got from your post. so I would report in this hypothetical case to fuse.net?

Reply to
Hitman0187

NNTP-POSTING-HOST = IP Addy. (also grabable from X-Trace, notice nnrp3.fuse.net = 172.21.1.25 which != 216.196.132.254 which = proxy which = harder to track down) Notice he has X-No-archive set, so don't expect to see this on Google. You can also take the time to trace the IP and find out what public information you can. (Or private depending on how far you want to go with it - that's all I have to say 'bout that.)

GLK9MM

Hitman0187 spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

Yep! Happy hunting!

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck_N0i

Thank you for seeing past my ignorance as a gay OL user. I appreciate it.

Reply to
Hitman0187

one other quick question, will the person reported know who reported them?

Reply to
Hitman0187

Depends on the privacy laws, but for the most part, nope. All it takes for you to be dropped from AOL for instance is prove that you violated the TOS. Same can be said for earthlink, compuserve, netscape, etc.

99.99999999999% of the time the answer is no. Spammers are cowards and do not fight back because it's easier just to create a new account and start spamming again. (Do not confuse the casual spammer with a troll. Trolls are a different breed. S'far as spam goes though, have at it.)

Now of course, me? I leave my information out there purposefully. If they want to trace it back to me, have at it.

GLK9MM

Im dealing with a troll...

Reply to
Hitman0187

Well, Luckily for you, aol.com resolves to Dulles, VA. So unless the troll has an insider, you're completely safe. Report away!

Who's the troll? Certainly haven't seen anything blatantly trollish here in a bit.

GLK9MM

no. I have never really witnessed a blatent troll in here in years. Im just glad there is a way to fight back.

Reply to
Hitman0187

Hitman0187 spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

I use this ID to report them with. Usually, I have no problem but there is the rare person or two.. :)

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck_N0i

NOI raises a good point.

It's very simple to set up a dummy account with hotmail or netscape or whatever. Use that for your spam fodder and for reporting.

GLK9MM

Learning tricks of the trade today....I like it. All aboard the Yankee express, next stop October.....

Hitman0187