Quadrajet rebuild

Does anyone know where I can get the proper tools and bushings to rebuild the base plate on a quadrajet? Everything I find online is either 50+ for either the service or just for the bushings to do it myself. I am willing to spend some money on the tools, as long as it doesnt cost me a great deal per carb I rebuild.

Bird79

1979 Firebird Esprit 1973 455 YC
Reply to
Fa21Nov

You don't have to go with bushing kits at all. If you plan on doing them in volume, say 100 to 300 units per year, here the lower cost solution.

First invest in a used, American made drill press with a adjustable table, that will take more then one vice. Then have a machine shop make you a few vices for the base plate(s), possibly the air horn it's self.

Then you will want to get them to make you some cutter heads for a chuck, unless you switch to a collets chucking system. You can also have the same machine shop make you copper, bronze, soft aluminum bushings.

Once you have the main outter bushings in, drill them, and put small roll pins in, or very small tapered head Allen screws.

With a drill press you can use cartridge rolls, taper rolls, flapper wheels, buffing wheels, cutter bits, step drill heads, as well as regular bits. You can even go as far as smoothing out the air horn (for better flow), and polishing the body so it shines like a BG Demon Carb.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I already have a good drill press, it is the same one my grandpa has used in his fab shop for years. I am not really planning to do that great of a volume, I just rebuild quadrajets in my spare time, about one every other month or so. What I was looking for was someone who sells bushings and cutting heads that are already the right size for the q-jet, that arnt 50 dollars for just one kit. I guess I'll need to take measurements and go to a machine shop then.