2002 Z28 Ques???

Got a question for the techies....I've had my battery stolen out of my Z in a parking lot,...why? ..I don't know. There must be a great demand for an original stock battery I guess...thats not my question though. I need to know if there is no battery hooked up to the car for more than

12 hours, when I install the new one,is there any reprograming that needs to be done after? Can the brainbox store all the vital stats and data,so that I will be back to factory presets when I put the new battery in? I know I will lose all the radio presets,key fob access,that doesn't worry me. The general performance of the car DOES! Will I have to take it back to the dealer to have anything done to it?
Reply to
Beetle Juice

Well, I got some of this answered. I didn't lose the keyfob memory,didn't lose the radio presets,although I did lose the clock memory.When I tried to start it,with the new battery,didn't get the high idle.It died about 9 times and then it seemed to be OK. So there must be some other power source internally...which leads me to ask...Could this other power source also hold data in the dreaded GM BLACK BOX? Hmmmm....Are they related? Any opinions welcome.......

Reply to
Beetle Juice

The ECU has a PROM (programmable read only memory).

Bird79

1979 Firebird Esprit 1973 455 YC
Reply to
Fa21Nov

A-ha....Thanx, I was kinda goin' that direction....

Reply to
Beetle Juice