Set Myself on Fire... Thin Plastic Fuel Lines Anyone???

With no fuel it won't (unless you posit propane left in the tank), gotta complete the fuel triangle, quadrangle or whatever they call it these days. I have been present when an acetylene line went up though. It ran off a tank farm, very scary but no big boom or flaming bodies since someone had the sense to trip the block valves as they ran out of the building.

Dave(used to work with hydrogen, lots o flame arrestors)

Reply to
poncho462

With no fuel it won't (unless you posit propane left in the tank), gotta complete the fuel triangle, quadrangle or whatever they call it these days. I have been present when an acetylene line went up though. It ran off a tank farm, very scary but no big boom or flaming bodies since someone had the sense to trip the block valves as they ran out of the building.

Dave(used to work with hydrogen, lots o flame arrestors)

Reply to
poncho462

I've been welding with liquid hydrogen for over 20 years, it is a very stable gas. Only in the last six months has OHSA made us install flashback restrictors. Even without the flashback restrictor valves I've seen torches flashback and burn inside the torch valve and get so hot the the torch melts off and the flames will shoot out the end of the line but well not travel back into the line.

Jerry Springer

Reply to
Jerry Springer

Yep, we had to do the same thing tig welding ss tubing. That's the whole pricipal behind gas shield welding. Unfortunately, I had to quit welding due to potential eye probs. Oh well. I can still drink beer! :)

nb

Reply to
notbob

"CBHVAC"

yes i know that. but by putting the oxygen into a propane tank he added fuel into the mixture. normaly there is no oxygen in the actylene and no fuel in the oxygen and the flame can't travel up the hose. but if you add oxygen to a fuel tank it can travel up the hose and past the regulator.

if you don't believe me.....try it. take an oxygen cylinder and attach it to a used propane tank.(you'll need to put a reversed thread on for the propane tank) fill it. now use the propane tank as you normaly would use an oxygen cylinder.

Reply to
S.S.I.N.

Jerry,

I can see what you describe above happening but I'd never want to see it in person. ;^)

I've never messed with hydrogen welding but deal with hydrogen used for cooling and anti-corrosion processes. Most of the sampling and monitoring stations I dealt with had flashback restrictors (this was back in the 80s). They were probably installed from an engineering point of view instead of an OSHA standard but I don't know for sure. These days I only deal with handling procedures and safety guidelines for hydrogen storage and distribution systems.

Hydrogen is very stable at the right concentrations but when used on large electric power generators with oil seals you have to keep an eye on purity and leakage to prevent explosive conditions from occurring. Couple years ago a generator went up in Tampa during routine maintenance. The explosion blew the all the siding off the building on one end of the turbine deck and killed several people.

Dave

Reply to
poncho462

I have never heard of a cutting torch like that. The standard around here is Oxy-Acetylene rig. A few people around here use Oxy-Propane cutting torches. Most use 40 pound RV tank, or a fork lift type tank. I have seen a few that use a regular gas grill style 20 pound tank.

Have any links to the Gasoline-oxy rig? Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

I think anyone that tries that experiment is:

A piece of excrement, with no brain looking to kill themselves and a few neighbors. Don't you?

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Yea...let me dig em up...:)

ITs Chinese, but it works...and that alone sold me.. Cheap as hell to run too.

Reply to
CBHVAC

Thanks. I e mailed the link to my business partner. The one who does all our torch work. We probably dispose of around 60 gallions of gasoline a month scrapping cars.So for us, the gasoline would be free. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Reply to
bikerbob